Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: AOL...... Grrrrr!  (Read 3037 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:58 »
I've just about had it with AOL - since installing a new mobo I've only been able to log on to their ISP once per session.  After I log off, I have to restart my computer if I want to go online again  :x .  I've discussed the problem with the AOL support technicians in India and they're useless.  I know more about AOL than them.

Anyway, I'm looking to find a replacement ISP which is similar to the AOL silver broadband package at £17.95 per month.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  I'm trying to avoid a long term minimum contract period.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline gmax

• Established Member
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:19 »
AOL in australia were shocking,they must be the worst ISP around :?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 13:41 »
I have heard only good about plus.net  They have a very reasonable BB package but I'm not sure about capping.  Being an aol user, that is a word you will be unfamiliar with Gill.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 14:41 »
I'll have a look at Plusnet, Clive - thanks.

One of the reasons I've stuck with AOL for as long as I have is that the service is uncapped.  However, it's more important to me that I should be able to access the internet without having to reboot each time!

There seem to be some good alternatives around.  I like the looks of EFH (which includes static IPs) and Max Broadband (which also has static IPs).  Even Tesco's got a farily decent scheme.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 14:50 »
Lona and another friend have just moved to Eclipse, up to 8mb depending on distance from exchange and quality of the line.

They have only been with them for a few dweeks but seem happy with them so far.
Lona did have a problem with the connection dropping but she rang them and they sorted it out quickly, I believe.

No doubt she wil be on later and be able to give more details.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 18:45 »
I'm glad I read this, as I have been thinking of going to AOL.  I am totally fed up with British ISPs forever changing their Terms and Conditions T&Cs)  blah, blah, blah, without need to consult the paying customer as it is already in the T&Cs blah, blah, blah, that they can change them whenever they want to.  In fact, last year I spoke to my MP about this in the pub and argued that it was about time legislation was passed to empower the customer.  He promised to look into it but, being New Labour, he probably wouldn't want to upset big business in order to improve the lot of the little customer.

However, if AOL are as bad as it seems, I think I'll hang fire for a while.  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 20:42 »
It's very difficult to recommend ISPs, who all look great on paper, but many can change for the worse as soon as they have you locked into a contract.  ISPr is always a good point of reference, and I will be researching there myself shortly, as I will be looking for a new provider when my current contract ends in September.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:33 »
It's a bit early to recommend Eclipse to you Gill, but I was impressed with their customer service when I had a problem with my connection.

They are having lots of problems with their email servers at the moment but say their engineers hope to resolve matters soon.

I would say that all isps who are providing the Max8mb service are having teething problems and it's mostly down to BT.

Zen have an excellent reputation but are a bit expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 13:06 »
I'm a bit late on this topic but I too want to change from AOL - mainly because of the price, I don't seem to have too many problems with the service, touch wood. (since we found a work around for the networking cable that is) I get cut off occasionally but not often, and also I don't have to use their programme very often because the work around (fooling the dialup thingy) lets me log on to the internet and just use my games or IE.    Anyway I'm waffling..........

Should I go the tiscalli way? Alot of my family have that now and they seem to have improved since the old days and I can get 2MB for £14.99 a month. (including free calls at the weekend)  You all seem to have 8MB now, is it that much different? How much do you pay?

As I'm moving (again!) in two weeks I thought now is the time to change.
I'd rather not have BT to be honest but there doesn't seem much option not too. I hate BT ......... and I worked for them. lol
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 13:09 »
Did I just read that right ........... 8mb for £9.99 ? Eclipse.  not read it all yet, so I'm assuming that is a (for 3 months) price.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 13:15 »
Hi shell  :wave:

This should be helpful on prices

Just select the speed your looking for in the "sorting box" and it will put them all up in price.

You do have to read the the isp's terms and conditions as some have some funny cheap deals that may not suit.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
AOL...... Grrrrr!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 22:14 »
Hey Cammy,

Thanks for the info ...... I'll look at that......  :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum