Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet Explorer confusion.  (Read 12768 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Internet Explorer confusion.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 15:41 »
Have a look, I finally found it. Apparently it has been taken over by some other company.
I like the fact that I can put all my email addresses into it and it will alert me when anyone of them recieves an email.
I'm sure it does other things but I only recently downloaded it.

http://www.thehotfix.net/forums/index.php?act=announce&f=2&id=7
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 15:43 »
When I type in Hotfix.net I now get this.

http://hotfix.net/index.php?t=MQ==

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 15:44 »
Oooo here we go - another victim!!   :twisted:  ;)

You won't find Firefox a problem, MB, and when you install it, it will even import all your IE favourites for you (you may have to subsequently re-arrange these (Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks), but nevertheless, they will be there).

If you want bells and whistles, Firefox has virtually everything which is available in IE - you just have to choose to install them.  You will find a wealth of treasures located at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/, and they are all simple to install.  You will find the add-on Lona was talking about, to open pages in IE, here, but these days, it's rarely needed.

If you want to hide the IE icon from your desktop (to resist temptation!), you can right click an empty area of your desktop, select Properties > Desktop (tab) > Customise Desktop, and remove the tick from the Internet Explorer box, under Desktop Icons.

:thumb:

By the way, I would be wary of HotFix, as a lot of these toolbars contain spyware.  If you were to use the Thunderbird email client, this would notify you of new mails via a system tray pop up box, but I would have thought most email clients would do this anyway.  Which email do you currently use?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 16:03 »
Hi Simon,
              One reason I like the Hotfix one is that it sits up the top of the screen and just makes a little noise when an email arrives.
I don't like the pop up box, the noise is too loud, late at night it frightens the bejesus out of me. And then it disappears, I use to use MSN for this, I have to sign out of one then sign into another.
Then there is the Yahoo account I have.
So I have Hotmail addresses and Yahoo.

I didn't import anything from IE, but now I wish I had of.
Can I still do it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 16:07 »
Yup - Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > File > Import.

You don't have to have a noise with the pop up notification in Thunderbird, and it does leave an icon in the tray by the clock, but I don't think you can use a mail client with Webmail, unless you have paid for POP3 access.  I'll have a look and see what I can find.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 16:18 »
Here you go, MB:-  Email Notifier.  Works with Yahoo and Hotmail as well as POP3.  :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 16:32 »
Thanks Simon, now I really do have my hands full.
This sould keep me busy for a while, I only figured out how to make the IE toolbar disappear last week. Only because the address bar vanished, and I didn't know why or how to get it back.
But with a click click here and a click click there, things appear and disappear.

Ok the cat's getting cranky, so I guess it's time for bed.

(Try and figure that one out.) :laugh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 00:22 »
A lot of people get cranky when they get tired MB, why should you be any different  :P

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 02:48 »
:laugh:  :laugh:

She sits on the back of the monitor and stares at me.

The other night she jumped down from there and sat on the desk, in between myself and the keyboard. I could see less than half the screen and when I reached around her to continue typing it didn't work. She had one paw on the Ctrl key.
When she gets really cranky she will start pushing things off tables, cupboards the mantlepiece. Last week it was my rather large and heavy Nikon Camera.
She spent sometime in the kitchen for that.

I have a nick name for her and it starts with B. :laugh:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 10:16 »
Quote from: "Simon"
You will find the add-on Lona was talking about, to open pages in IE, here, but these days, it's rarely needed.

Rarely needed?

I went to a news site to look at a video (using my new Firefox) it asked me to install IE6 if I wish to view it. :argh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 12:49 »
Well, if you right click a link like that, you can choose to View Link in IE, once you have installed the plug in.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 12:57 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
:laugh:  :laugh:

She sits on the back of the monitor and stares at me.

Mine hides at the back of the cupboard which houses my computer.  Her favourite place is behind the monitor or printer.  She keeps perfectly still for hours on end and then suddenly I see two huge eyes staring at me!  One day she's going to give me a heart attack!

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 14:15 »
If she can't here you Clive, those big eyes looking back at you, could be the look of total shock :shock: , realising that your there staring at her. :laugh:

Many years ago I had a cat that had come down with cat flu, and he was seriously ill. He couldn't see, he had no sense of smell or taste.
I went to see him every morning and evening. I would walk into the room and just talk to him, and he knew it was me. I would take food that I had blended, and put little amounts in his mouth and get him to swallow. I used an eye dropper to get him to swallow water.
To the vet was amazement he lived.
If they can't see you they can hear you, if they can't hear you, they can smell you.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 15:23 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
Quote from: "Simon"
You will find the add-on Lona was talking about, to open pages in IE, here, but these days, it's rarely needed.

Rarely needed?

I went to a news site to look at a video (using my new Firefox) it asked me to install IE6 if I wish to view it. :argh:

I need it frequently, Misty, there's quite a lot of sites won't let you view using firefox, so don't listen to Baldy. :wink:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 16:10 »
You are probably correct about her being surprised to see me Misty.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  I am always amazed that she knows exactly what's in the fridge.  She can't see inside as the door is far too high but if there is a piece of beef or lamb left over after Sunday lunch then she will camp outside the fridge until she gets it!  Congratulations on dumbfounding the vet!  Two years ago we were told that ours had a heart murmer and wasn't expected to live long.  She's now turned into a juvenile delinquent!  What do they know?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum