Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Internet Explorer confusion.  (Read 12749 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Internet Explorer confusion.
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2006, 09:40 »
Hmm... does sound odd, but at least you've got it sorted now.  Did you tick the box when you sign in, where it says 'Log me on automatically with each visit'?  That's what sets the cookie.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2006, 09:56 »
Interesting that. I always tick it, but when I finally was allowed to log on I tried it without ticking the box. I think that was just a coincedence though as I closed it and tried it ticking the box and all was well. :roll:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 12:39 »
Once you have saved the cookie, which Firefox should now do, you shouldn't actually need to log in when you visit, as you will stay logged in until you actually log out by clicking the Log out button.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2006, 14:47 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
Thanks Simon I did that, didn't seem to work straight away. So I deleted it from my imported IE list and re-added it as a bookmark, still didn't seem to work so I messed about with it adding and deleting. Well end result is it now I can log on using FF.
Strange thing is I have no problems logging on at other sites?
I'll have to spend some time reading the thread on Mozzila.

Remember to click the box that says automatically log me in, Misty. :wink:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2006, 16:21 »
umm thats odd.. ebuyer normally works fine for me... though it is always rather slow.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2006, 07:12 »
OK Now I'm getting cranky. :x

FF won't let me log in.

Used the link through the email no, tried the link through bookmark no.
Went back into options and re-allowed it no.

Went back and tried through the email link, this time it had me as being online and my name was listed, but I wasn't logged in. So I tested it tried to reply in this thread took me to log in. tried to log in there, wouldn't do it.

What am I doing wrong?

I went to every other site I'm a member of and no problems.

A friend asked me if I had been banned, but no-one was game to tell me. :laugh:  :shock:  :?

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2006, 09:46 »
Sorry Misty.  I suffer from a nevous disposition caused by using fully tested Microsoft products in the past.  Installing a beta version could result in heart failure or having to be sectioned into a mental institution.  :shock:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2006, 09:46 »
OK, let's sort this out.  Firstly, there is not a bug in Firefox which prevents MistyBear from logging into PC Pals Forum, and as far as I am aware, there is nothing in our forum software which is incompatible with Firefox.  When you say you can't log in, Kate, what exactly is happening?  Do you get an error message?  Is it saying your details are incorrect?  Does this happen after using IE to log in?  If that is the case, it might be because the cookie sent to IE is saying you are still logged in, and therefore, it won't let you log in again.  Try clearing all your cookies in IE (Tools > Internet Options > General (Tab) > Delete Cookies (Button), and while you're there, delete the temporary Internet Files (cache) as well).  Once that is done, if you able to sucessfully log in using Firefox, try not to use IE to log in here, as I think the switching between the two browsers may be confusing the cookie.  Does that make sense?

As for IE7, personally, I wouldn't advise it, as it is still not finished, and there may be more security holes in it than IE6!  
Obviously the choice is yours though.  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2006, 09:55 »
THIS is what the beta testers say about the new version Misty.  I had no difficulty logging in with FF but I prefer to use a relatively unknown browser called Avant.  It's based on IE but looks more like FF and Simon takes the p**s out of me for using it.   :wink:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2006, 10:05 »
What ever link I use to pc-pals it opens with forum page with my user ID and password already there, so I then tick the box and click log in. And it does it's thing and ends up on exactly the same thing again. I have tried numerous times using different links and the same thing happens.

Now after using IE on this site and FF on other sites I have come back here using FF and it now works. :?  :?

I haven't been using IE except when I can't log in here then I use IE to complain about FF.
FF is starting to have a different meaning. :laugh:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2006, 10:15 »
Quote from: "sam"
umm thats odd.. ebuyer normally works fine for me... though it is always rather slow.

You're correct Sam, it's only when I go to the checkout I have to change to IE. I always just use IE now when I go to ebuyer and it works much faster.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2006, 11:01 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
What ever link I use to pc-pals it opens with forum page with my user ID and password already there, so I then tick the box and click log in. And it does it's thing and ends up on exactly the same thing again. I have tried numerous times using different links and the same thing happens.

Now after using IE on this site and FF on other sites I have come back here using FF and it now works. :?  :?

I haven't been using IE except when I can't log in here then I use IE to complain about FF.
FF is starting to have a different meaning. :laugh:

Right, this is becoming a challenge now!  It's got to be something to do with the cookie, or cache.  Try clearing the cookies and cache from IE and also from FF, Kate.  To clear from FF, go to Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies (Tab) > Clear Cookies Now (Button).  Restart FF and go to http://pc-pals.com/forum/index.php.  If that's not the link in your Bookmarks, then update your Bookmark entry, as it may have imported an older link from IE, but that's very doubtful, as you haven't been here that long.  You will also need to enable pop ups in FF for PC Pals, so that you can receive PM notifications.  To do this, go to Tools > Content where the Block Pop Up Windows box should be ticked.  Next to it, click the Allowed Sites button, and enter pc-pals.com, then click Allow.  By the way, you don't need the http://www part of the address, and this also applies to the allow cookies box, in case you didn't realise.  Might be best to check that, in case it's not saving the cookie like it should do.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2006, 11:06 »
You're correct Sam, it's only when I go to the checkout I have to change to IE. I always just use IE now when I go to ebuyer and it works much faster.

but do you trust entering your card details in ie?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2006, 11:15 »
Quote from: "sam"

but do you trust entering your card details in ie?

You're making me paranoid now Sam.  :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum