Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: I have no idea what's wrong.  (Read 9798 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
I have no idea what's wrong.
« on: July 02, 2006, 08:07 »
Last night I downloaded and installed F-Security, before it would install it wanted to uninstall AdAware and AVG, I click yes. After it installed it asked me to re-boot and when I did it would get as far as the desktop and turn off and restart again and just keep doing it, over and over. On one re-boot I tapped the delete key and went into Bios and reselected Default, but it seemed to make little difference.
It was late and I was tired so I turned the computer off at the front and went to bed. This morning same thing, but it became slower and slower.
Sandra suggested that I try to repair XP as it may have been damaged when F-Security deleted the other software. Also the mouse and the key board stopped working.
After a couple of hours of trying different things and waiting a long time for each page to load it finally reinstalled windows, but when it re-booted it fail again. The page stated something like " Windows has shutdown or closed to prevent damage to your computer, if you have recently installed new software or hardware uninstall". Also it said something about the drivers.
I manage to get it into safe mode, but didn't know what to do once I was there. So I uninstalled F-Security first then I ran Belarc to see if it would tell me something, only that I now have to install all the XP updates again.
So I tried Sandra the software,(sandra was in bed by now) couldn't connect to computer, didn't understand that?
Ran Everest all I worked out from that was that the computer was running hot and not all the sensors were working and the fan sensor wasn't working, fans were running fast.
In other words I have no idea what I'm doing, so HELP.
 :blush:  :x
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 10:24 »
Oh Gawd!!  I suppose this is my fault for bullying you into installing F-Secure.  :blush2:  You shouldn't have had all those problems, but possibly you should have uninstalled AVG via Add / Remove Programs, as it may not have been uninstalled properly.

Forget about Belarc, Sandra (the software) and Everest for the moment.  What is the status of Windows now?  You said you reinstalled Windows, so you used the Windows CD to run a Repair installation, yes?  Unfortunately, while that may have repaired any Windows problems, it wouldn't have fixed any problems with installed programs.  I think you just need to uninstall everything which might be conflicting, and start again.

You said you can boot into Safe Mode, yes?  If so, uninstall AVG, Ad Aware and F-Secure via Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs, and see if things revert back to some sort of normality.  If F-Secure won't uninstall, I have a removal tool I can send you by e-mail.  

If none of them appear in Add / Remove Programs, then they may have been uninstalled, but not removed from your startup menu, in which case, try Start > Run > type msconfig and click OK.  Go to the Startup tab, and untick anything related to F-Secure, AVG or Ad Aware, then try to reboot.

Hopefully, you can then get your machine running as it was, and you can choose whether to install F-Secure again or not.  I didn't actually realise you had AVG on there, or I would have advised you to uninstall it first - sorry.

You will obviously need to get your Windows Updates again, if these have disappeared.  Sorry about this, Kate.  I bet you wish you'd never heard of PC Pals!  Think how simple you life was before you joined us!  :grin:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 10:34 »
How else can I learn about computers, I need to stuff them up first.
Please don't feel bad, I shouldn't have been doing it at 1.00am
I think something was wrong before I installed F-Security.
It was running hotter as the fans were coming on, which they inly did when I was running a scan. And it was running slow, so before I installed F-Security I ran a couple of scans and it was fine.
I have turned it back on and it has gone to boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 10:36 »
simple you life was before you joined us

oh yes!!

well at least life after us wont involve identify theft! .. cause you have no computer left to be hacked into, lol!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 10:45 »
Bit hard to press enter or F8 when the keyboard no longer works.
So I'll have to play musical keyboards if you want me to do anything as I'm using the PB and it's keyboard and I'll have to swap it back and forth.
I don't think I can get to safe mode now, I think I could only do it before after I had reinstalled XP. :?

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 10:50 »
Quote from: "sam"
simple you life was before you joined us

oh yes!!

well at least life after us wont involve identify theft! .. cause you have no computer left to be hacked into, lol!

I will admit I was tempted to just unplug it and put it the hall cupboard with the PB. And get on with what plans I did have. Oh well.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 10:56 »
if you do that, it will probably work later!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 10:59 »
Ignore it and it will sort itself out. I wish. :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 11:03 »
The boot disc error message relates to the hard drive, I think, and it can sometimes just go away on reboot, but in this case, it sounds more likely that it's related to the problems you had last night.  Could it possibly be coincidental that you have a hard drive failure?  :?  I'm afraid I'm a bit out of my depth with hardware problems, and I don't want to make things any worse for you by speculating.  It could just be that Windows is screwed, and there's a way out of this, but I can't see how all this could have been caused by F-Secure.  Even a badly uninstalled program shouldn't cause problems like this.

I suggest you wait for Sandra, or someone with more expertise than me, comes along to help.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 11:09 »
Ok Thanks Simon, I might try posting on the other forum. I'm really not sure what to do now that it has gone back to boot disk failure. I was going to leave it on this afternoon, when I had it in safe mode, but the fans were going and it was running a bit hot so I thought it would be ok to turn off. If I had know this would happen I would have left it on. Oh well. (Bug**r)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 11:23 »
Not being funny, but how hot is your weather?  It does make a difference.  We are currently suffering nearly 30°C here, and my PC always runs a few degrees hotter than usual in this climate.

One suggestion might be to actually do as it says, and when it asks for the system disc (Windows CD), insert it and press Enter.  It may just require some files in order to load Windows.  Worth a try at least.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 11:26 »
I actually did do as it asked and it went to looking at the setup configuration and then it went to black and didn't come back. So I turned it off.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 12:06 »
Sorry that I had to go to bed last night MB but I thought that you were well on your way to being sorted when I left.
It was just 4am when I crawled into my bed  :roll:

If you can get into safe mode then you can disable the bit that makes it reboot when it says its shutting down to prevent damage.

Go to My Computer/Properties/Advanced.
Click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery part.
Then untick Automatically Restart in the System Failure part then click OK.

Reboot and hopefully it will now boot into full windows and you can see if there are any problems with drivers etc in the device manager.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 12:16 »
No need to apologise Sandra the computer and the problem aren't going anywhere. Unfortunately.

Yes I thought it had been resolved when Windows reinstalled, but no.

I don't think I can get it to safe mode, but I'll turn it back on and see. It was going to boot disk failure. :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 12:31 »
If it still says boot disk failure then repeat what you did last night and reinstall xp again then as soon as its running untick the box as described above.

If its reverted to boot disk failure though it sounds as if theres a virus or something on your pc thats affecting your boot.ini file  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum