Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: I have no idea what's wrong.  (Read 9800 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I have no idea what's wrong.
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 08:11 »
Does HotFix appear in Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs?  If so, you should be able to uninstall it from there.

Providing you have the latest version (1.5.0.4), there should be no reason to re-install FF, unless you suspect there could be spyware lurking.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 08:41 »
I used Add/Remove Programs to delete it before I reinstalled FF.

Michael just did a search of my computer for all files of Hotfix and deleted them. He said it shouldn't work anymore.
I restarted the computer hoping that it wouldn't be there, but alas it's still bl**dy there.
If I uninstall FF now and reinstall will it still come back with the Hotfix Toolbar.

For now I will simply untick it so it doesn't show, and download Email Notifier.

And yes it is the latest version.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 09:56 »
That's the trouble with these damned things - you can't get rid of them.

If you want to completely start again with a 'clean' Firefox, after you have uninstalled it, you can remove all of the plugins and saved settings by deleting the Profile folder, which is hidden in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.  In there you will find a folder named with random letters and numbers.  This is your Profile folder.  You may have to reveal hidden folders to see this, by going to Tools > Folder Options > View > then scroll down to Hidden files and folders and tick the button to Show.  Be aware that deleting the Profile folder will completely remove all of your saved settings, including bookmarks, saved passwords etc, but these can be Imported from IE again when you re-install FF.  Alternatively, you can open the folder and make a backup copy elsewhere of the Bookmarks.htm, then you can just copy it back into the new folder which will be created when you re-install.  

Also, go to C:\Program Files and delete the Firefox folder from in there.  Hopefully, HotFix will then not reappear if you re-install FF.  You could, of course, leave things as they are, if you have found a way to hide the HotFix toolbar - but you'll always know it's there, and there might be a chance that it could conflict with the Email Notifier, but you won't know that until you install it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 10:10 »
Thanks for that Simon,

When I downloaded Email Notifier, which isn't working at the moment, a window opened to show what extensions I already had and Hotfix Toolbar was in there with an uninstall box, so yes I clicked it and it said that it would be uninstalled when I restart the computer.
I just had a look in Tools>Extensions and everything is in there except the Hotfix Toolbar.
 :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 16:13 »
Great news about HotFix!  Perhaps Firefox isn't that bad after all?  ;)  Now, what's the problem with e-mail notifier?  You probably have to go through some sort of set up procedure for each of your mail accounts, or it won't know what or where to check, and if you are running a firewall (I've lost track a bit with this - are you still using Windows Firewall?), Email notifier will need permission to access the internet.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2006, 08:53 »
Email Notifier seems to be working ok now. I think what happened was that I hadn't exited msn properly so when I got an email the msn popped-up, which I find irritating. And with the Hotfix Toolbar it seems to take longer to be notified and the same appears to be true of FF's Email Notifier.
I thought once you signed out of msn that was it, but Michael tells me that after you have signed out you then have to exit it as well. I rarely use it now as not only is the pop-up annoying, once it's gone I tend to forget about it.
I like having it on the toolbar as a reminder that emails are still there and it's an easy way to access all of them. With msn I have to sign out of one to access another and then sign into that one and so on, what a bloody pain.
And then if you happen to have Yahoo (as I do) or any others, Email Notifier is a very handy thing in deed.  :D

And no I haven't installed a Firewall yet. :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2006, 09:54 »
Well, the Windows Firewall should give you some protection, but it's not ideal, as it only monitors incoming traffic.  You might find this useful:-

http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

These are all paid for 'Pro' versions, but I think you can get free versions of some of them.  It just gives you an indication of what's available, and how easy they are to use.   Most of the free versions work the same, but lack some of the 'bells & whistles' of the 'Pro' versions.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum