Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Antivirus and Firewall info updated  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Antivirus and Firewall info updated
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:37 »
We have recently updated our lists of available Anti Virus and Firewall applications, which you will find by clicking the tabs at the top of the page.  We hope you will find these useful.  Further updates will take place shortly.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:36 »
I don't see Sygate firewall in your list, Simon. :?:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:54 »
That's because it's been taken over by Symantec, Lona.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 13:17 »
Does anyone use these paid-for security programs and, if so, what would you say is the advantage over free anti-virus and firewall software?

I have had a home internet connection since I returned to Chorley in early 1999, have always used freebies (i.e. AVG, Avast, Zone Alarm, Kerio Free) and yet in seven and a half years have never had a single virus or other nasty.  Admittedly, I am probably a little more savvy than your average punter, not least because I frequent sites like this, but so are the rest here, so I can't see for the life of me why anybody would want to pay upwards of twenty quid to stay safe online when the freebies are just as effective.  Not only that, but from what I have read, the more popular paid-for software is no better than the stuff it is trying to stop.  I believe that Norton, for instance, gets imbedded right inside the operating system, stops certain other programs from running and could easily be defined as malware itself.

Nevertheless, a good and useful list.  

:)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 14:19 »
I use Norton's and it slows my 3.2 Ghz computer down to a standstill.  It insists on checking every file I open even if it's been on my machine for ever and a day.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 15:49 »
I suppose I have to admit to being somewhat of a 'punter', when it comes to consumer goods.  I do have the opinion that 'you get what you pay for', and also believe that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.  If two identical TVs are in a shop, one has an obscure 'Eastern block' brand name, and the other is branded Sony at double the price, I would always go for the Sony, although, as Clive will tell us, they are probably both the same inside.

I think some of the 'paid for' software apps do have features some of the freebies lack, such as automatic updates, technical support, and possibly a more attractive user interface (?), and I think the natural reaction is to assume that if you are paying for protection, you are getting something more than the freebies offer.

The question is, if the freebies are equally as good, have the same features, and offer the same standard of protection as the 'paid for' apps - why are they free?  :|

I use F-Secure Internet Security 2006, which cost me about £10 for the year from Redstore.  This includes Anti Virus, Firewall, Anti Spyware, Anti Spam, and full 'live' technical support, which I don't think is bad value for money, given that to use all freebies would have meant installing four separate programs, some of which may need manually updating, and all would use their own quota of system resources, and may not offer any product support.  Installing separate apps, also increases the risk of conflicts between different programs.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 16:05 »
Quote from: "Simon"

:kidding2:

I've just downloaded it on a friend's computer

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 16:13 »
Quote from: "Simon"

Quote from: "Lona"
:kidding2:

I've just downloaded it on a friend's computer

No, really, it has.    When I tried to get onto the Sygate site, it kept coming up as unavailable.  Where did you download it from, Lona?  I think some sites are still offering the old version of Sygate, but I don't know whether it would receive any updates.  The latest release I can find to download, is  Oct 28, 2004.  :|

Symantec announced its agreement to acquire Sygate on Aug. 16, 2005....  Symantec will continue to sell the current Sygate solutions under the Sygate brand. In the next six months, the company expects to rebrand the next version of the products and include additional functionality. Thereafter, Symantec plans to integrate the Sygate technology into the company's existing enterprise security products.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 16:36 »
My friend has got windows 98 and ZA is no longer supporting win98 so I installed this older version of sygate.

http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/213160_90233_1356/dlp/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 20:18 »
Should be fine, Lona.  She would be advised to upgrade to XP though.  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum