Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ad Aware / Spybot Updates  (Read 25860 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Ad Aware / Spybot Updates
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2003, 13:43 »
Just a reminder folks - updates available now for Ad Aware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2003, 11:33 »
Updates for SpyBot and updates via a new version of SpyBlaster are out
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2003, 14:28 »
Cheers, Tony!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2003, 22:02 »
Anybody having probs downloading SpyBlaster updates or the prog... like error messages

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2003, 22:45 »
Just updated SpywareBlaster without a hitch, Tony.  Perhaps they were just down for a bit?

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2003, 20:49 »
yer it's OK now for me too. :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2003, 15:08 »
Has anyone updated to the newest version of Ad Aware?  It's version 6.181, and it seems fantastically quick, compared to the old build.  So quick, in fact, I'm not sure if it's really scanning everything.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2003, 15:14 »
I don't know whether they've pulled the file, but all I'm getting is "Not available".  Anyone else want to have a go?   :-\

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2003, 16:03 »
Version 6.0 here and no updates available.. so it just told me  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2003, 18:05 »
Yeah, this is an actual Program update, which you have to download from the website, not just a new reference file.  If you are running an old version, it should say in the 'News' bit, when you click 'Check For Updates'.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2003, 18:15 »
Simon.. :)

If peeps  download the new version they must remove the older version 1st as >>HERE<<

Hookstar

Ps.. I wondered when I downloaded it on my little bro's pc on Thursday night that it ran a lot quicker  ::)

Saturday, July 13, 2003
Falköping Sweden, July 13, 2003 ? Nicolas Stark Computing AB (Lavasoft) is announcing today the release of a new build for our popular and industry leading anti-trackware utility Ad-aware. Combining optimization and newly developed scanning technology, we have been able to increase the overall speed and efficiency of Ad-aware by up to 400% over previous releases of our 6x generation.
Using newly developed conditional and Smart Scan technology, Ad-aware can actually decide, based on previous detections during the scanning process, whether additional scanning is required. This innovation alone gives Ad-aware a clear advantage over other applications in our industry by using a dynamic, rather than reactive approach, for the detection of potential privacy and security threats.
As part of our continuing commitment to providing the most advanced, safest, and efficient privacy software available, we have included a feature that allows Ad-aware to counter a newly discovered exploit that incorporates HOSTS file editing to facilitate browser hijacking. Users can now scan, log, backup, remove, and restore known references in the HOSTS file efficiently and safely with a few simple clicks.
Registry protection and cleaning has also been enhanced to include detection of dynamically created registry keys while improving the overall efficacy of the deep scan mode and overall improvements in the scanning engine have made the In-Depth disk scanning mode more effective while lowering CPU resource usage.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2003, 18:30 »
Just done that, thanks Hook.

This new build seems quite a bit different to the 'old' one.  Here are some FAQs folks may find useful, copied from Lavasoft's Knowledge Base:

FAQ: Why is Ad-aware 6 Build 181 so much faster?

Ad-aware's speed increase comes from an optimized scanning engine, allowing for faster scan times when scanning your data.  You should notice that Ad-aware scans more in less time, in some cases up to 400% faster.

FAQ: What is SmartScan?  Why is the number of objects scanned lower than before?

SmartScan is a set of preset scanning options.  Ad-aware now comes with a pre-defined set of settings that most users should find sufficient for their scanning needs.  Of course, should a user require or want more or less than defined here, they can always perform a custom scan.

SmartScan uses these scanning options: Scan Memory, Scan Registry, Deep Scan Registry, System Folder, Cookies, and then the conditional scans based on what's located.

For users wishing to set up Ad-aware to perform a full scan of their system, a How To exists that explains how to create this custom scan.

How To: Perform a "Full Scan" With Ad-aware 6 Build 181

The following explains how to set Ad-aware's settings to perform a "Full Scan."

In Ad-aware click the Gear to go to the Settings area.

The following items should be on a green check, not on a red X.

Under the Scanning button:

*Scan archive files
    *Under Memory & Registry, Check EVERYTHING
    *In Check Drives & Folders, make sure all of your hard drives are selected

Under the Advanced button, check ALL under Log detail level (this makes it easier for visitors to the Lavasoft Support Forums to see what options you have selected should you require assistance.)

Under the Tweak button...

Some of these may not be an available option, depending on your version of Ad-aware and your version of Windows.  Do not be concerned if you cannot select a certain item.

In Scanning Engine:

*Unload recognized processes during scanning
    *Include info about ignored objects in logfile, if detected in scan
    *Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
    *Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
    *Include used command line parameters in logfile

In Cleaning Engine:

*Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion
    *XP/2000: Allow unloading explorer to unload shell extensions prior to deletion
    *Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

Click Proceed to save these settings.  When you would like to perform a "Full Scan," switch the scan mode from SmartScan to Custom.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2003, 18:47 »
A lot faster init  ;D.. treble quick on mine now, Thanks Simon

Adept

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2003, 18:58 »
I updated mine last week sometime. It is a lot faster isn't it?

I'm using both Ad-Aware and SpyBot and they are both still finding problems that the other doesn't find  :-\

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2003, 18:58 »
Cheers, Pals!  I'll d/l the whole thing, uninstall the old, and then reinstall the new version then.   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum