Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Kvcd's  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Kvcd's
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:56 »
Hi Guys .........  Its been a long time, but I always turn up again. (like a bad penny I hear Rod say) thought I'd get in there first :lol:

So I'm sure I've asked this question before but I can't find it.

How can I convert a Avi to kvcd (using nero maybe? or winavi?)  I can convert to dvd but I don't wanna do that I don't think.

P.S Sandra, i never did get that lead to work from the pc to tv - my tv is rubbish I think)
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Kvcd's
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 18:32 »
Why do you want to convert an AVI to KVCD?

The easiest is to burn the AVI as data, and most DVD Players now will play the AVI file from the CD. Unless you have an old DVD Player, there is no need to convert anything.

:D  :D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Kvcd's
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 19:25 »
Quote from: "Delgado"

The easiest is to burn the AVI as data, and most DVD Players now will play the AVI file from the CD. Unless you have an old DVD Player, there is no need to convert anything.

only cos I know my dvd player will play kvcd?  ...... As data then huh?  I'll have a look through nero and see if I can do it, thanks for the info.... sorry I'm a real blonde when it comes to certain things :LOL:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Kvcd's
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 20:02 »

Okay I thought that was too easy it won't play on any of my 3 dvd players. They aren't that old... few years, one is an expensive-ish  one(sony) and the other two are cheapo's.
:(

Any other idea's chaps?  I'm sure Sandra has told me before what to do. But maybe I didn't have nero at that time.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
KVCD
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 20:46 »
OK- a KVCD is simply a form of compression to enable you to get a DVD compressed onto a CD. My DVD player will play all formats but yours wont, so here we go-

You can use Win Avi to convert your AVI to VCD, but you may need to use two cds. The easiest way is to convert to DVD with Win AVI, and use a blank DVD Disc.

Then you can burn with Nero.

If you click on the facia of Win Avi where it sats DVD-it will give you the options.

Hope this helps-

Delgado.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Kvcd's
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 22:12 »
Thanks Delgado, you obviously know alot about all this stuff.

I really wanted to put them on a CD-r as I have lots of those and only a few dvd's. Can I do that?

I usually don't bother with AVi's .....cos its so easy with bin/cue to burn to cd...  but I have a few films that I watch on the PC that my son wants to watch on his DVD player.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Kvcd's
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 22:57 »
Quote from: "Michelle"
Thanks Delgado, you obviously know alot about all this stuff.

I really wanted to put them on a CD-r as I have lots of those and only a few dvd's. Can I do that?

I usually don't bother with AVi's .....cos its so easy with bin/cue to burn to cd...  but I have a few films that I watch on the PC that my son wants to watch on his DVD player.

I have just checked my copy of Win AVI, and its version 7.7; if youve got that one when you select to convert your AVI there is an option to convert to either VCD or KVCD. If you select yours to convert to KVCd on the advanced settings you will see that it converts into 650mb sections-meaning if the film is long you will have two files to burn to two discs. You should be ok with a normal film to use one disc.

You should be able to burn to re-writable discs ok.

If you have a few Blank DVDs-I would convert to DVD -you will get better quality, after all they only cost about 20p these days-Good luck!!!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Kvcd's
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 23:05 »
oh okay so I can do it on winavi ......... thanks

I've not seen dvd's for that price but I've not looked hard, I paid alot for mine a while ago but got some CR-rs cheap about 100 so I'd like to use them up.

I'll have a look at win avi, I've been trying to do with nero.  I'm sure i have win avi...............no idea wot version.

thanks alot for your help, I'm so useless at this ........ dunno why I can't get my head round it.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Kvcd's
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 23:16 »
Check your PMs Michelle  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Kvcd's
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 18:03 »
Thanks alot Sandra and Delgado, that worked :)  A long film on one CD-r

Trouble is it still won't play on sons dvd player but plays on mine so thats okay.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
DVD Players
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:32 »
Glad you got it sorted  :D

The best thing to do if your son wants to play films on his DVD Player, is to get a cheap one from somewhere like Tesco or Sainsbury that will play anything. The trouble with the big brand ones like Sony or Philips is that these companies have a vested interest in the movie industry, hence their machines will not play many of the compression types that you will download.

If you buy a cheapy, and make sure that it plays MPEG, Divx, AVI, etc, you will be able to just burn and watch without any hassle just as the file came down. Prices would be from about £25.

If you want any more advice just ask-Good Luck.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re: DVD Players
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 13:04 »
Glad you got it sorted  :D

The trouble with the big brand ones like Sony or Philips is that these companies have a vested interest in the movie industry, hence their machines will not play many of the compression types that you will download.  

Do you know thats the weird thing, my Sony will play almost anything and the cheap one won't ........... I don't even know wot make it is - yungting probably.

But yes thats what I need to do, as sandra's been telling me for years lol get one that plays everything but with 3 dvd's players in the house I won't buy another one yet. lol

Thanks for your help tho :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum