Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Choice ?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline The_IceMan

The Choice ?
« on: February 19, 2003, 15:08 »
Ok people lets see how easy this can be ...

So far ive got my adsl PCI internal hardware as i'll be using it for gaming and to host multiplayer games online im also on a Pentium 4 system with a 533mhz bus for faster through put but this is my question.

Which ISP do i go with im really stuck and my head has ended up hurting thinking about both Nildram & Pipex suggestions anyone ??

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:The Choice ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 15:19 »
Hi Iceman, I am with Pipex and have found them to be very reliable.I dont do online gaming so I am not sure about the pings for that,I have heard that some people complained they werent the best for that.
At the moment Pipex have a good offer on at the moment,no activation fee etc.No doubt Nildram have ,or will have soon,a similar deal  :-*

Offline The_IceMan

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 15:23 »
one final question ... from the onset or reaching of your exchange trigger level how long does it take to go live via the exchange.

Offline Mustapha Phagg

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 15:25 »
Well i'm with plusnet, most of the gamers seem to find it ok with the occasional glitch.

Not sure of any deals, check their site, cheapest they have is £19.99 P/M so that's one thing in their favour.
img]http://www.reset.plus.com/toons/Egyptian.gif[/img]

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 15:33 »
I should think that once the trigger level has been reached it would be enabled fairly quickly as they have a captive market ready to hand over money to them.
Mine was already enabled before I applied for adsl and Pipex stated 10 days for activation,I think I was on line in 8 days  :-*

Offline The_IceMan

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 15:35 »
are you all ready for a laugh hehe this is a quote from the pipex adsl checker on my exchange ...

Only 10 more customers need to register their interest in order for BT to start accepting pre-orders for the ABERDEEN ASHGROVE exchange, so tell all your friends to pre-register today!

Adept

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 15:36 »
Hi The_IceMan :welcome:

I have no experience of either Pipex or Nildram I'm afraid. Both are highly respected ISPs.

A few members here use Pipex ADSL and I don't think they have had very many problems with the service they get. Nildram is well respected for it's quality of service, whereas Pipex have had a few problems in the Customer Service department due to their massive increase in subscribers when they reduced their ADSL prices.

If I were you I'd ask the question at ISP Review and see what the people who use those ISPs think (but come back and have some fun here afterwards OK? ;))

Offline The_IceMan

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 15:39 »
okay dokay ...

And sandra much better choice in music there thanks for changing it.

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 23:54 »
Hi IceMan, welcome to the forum

I've just signed up for Pipex, they seem to have one of the best deals at the moment and good reports from most people.

So far they have been very good at keeping me informed as to progress, so if it all continues like this, then I'll be happy
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline The_IceMan

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 10:11 »
Now the bad news that is very important:

Almost every single ADSL ISP requires a damn credit card to sign up called PIPEX ... reply sorry sir all residential accounts are CC CARDS.

im currently using surftime anytime costing £75 a quarter granted its onto my phone bill but that gets payed its a simple case of moving the money from that across to an adsl ISP but no no they got to put that sorry must use a CC CARD milarky.

>:(

message to all ADSL ISP's ever heard of either DEBIT CARDS for direct fund transfers from account to you or better still for me direct debt.

sheesh

at this rate when the service goes live i still wont get one of the best ISP's cause of accouting situations with them.

Offline The_IceMan

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 10:43 »
ok an update im already with eclipse internet and just checked with them granted i wont get my adsl modem for nothing nor a referral program sorry sandra but they do allow me to pay everything monthly via my bank including for the modem setup and everything else.

and they have no fixed contract period apart from a 30 day cancellation you tell them 30 days in advance when you wish to stop and thats it no hidden things to pay like the remainder of the fixed term period.

and there rated 2nd or 3rd on isp review so cant be that bad i'll be going with them.

or rather staying with them hehe :)

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 10:45 »
IceMan, I've signed up to Pipex on my Barclays Debit Card and had no problems, and they've taken payment  :)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 10:46 »
I've just had a look around for you and Plusnet will accept debit cards or standing orders.

http://portal.plus.net/faq_index.html#q5

Hope that helps IceMan.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum