Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: What the...  (Read 1025 times)

Offline andyhx

What the...
« on: January 30, 2007, 17:21 »
So I swap the DVD drive for an old CDRW drive in my son's self-build desktop as the DVD won't read discs.
Turn on and get a "Windows needs to authenticate this edition of Windows message"....Huh?! Not seen before and pc been running months. Tries to connect itself to microsoft, fails and logs off.

ANy help appreciated! ???

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: What the...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 18:50 »
Sounds like a job for Sandra Andy.  She'll be along later.   :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 21:29 »
Sounds like the Windows Validation tool, possibly kicking in because you've changed some hardware, but I didn't think CD / DVD drives mattered.  :-\  Anyway, it should try to connect to the Microsoft website, and ask you to download a small program which validates your copy of Windows.  Not sure why it's not connecting, but I think you probably need to use Internet Explorer, and allow pop ups, and if asks for ActiveX permission, allow that too.  If you're still having difficulties, as Clive said, Sandra will be along later.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:04 »
As Simon sayas it sounds like the Windows Genuine Advantage thing but I think its a coincidence that its happened as you have changed a drive.

Is it a genuine copy of XP ?

Offline andyhx

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:42 »
Thanks for replies. Couldn't get in to amend IE / pop ups etc as it just logged me off when failing to connect.
Took the plunge and did a boot to command prompt, nav to CD drive and re-installed XP. Only took 3 hrs to get back to status quo. Now to retry the DVD...or will I end up with the same problem!?

Can't ansa your qn Sandra...

Cheers

Andy

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 13:31 »
Understood Andy  ;)

If you accidentally download and install WGA by mistake, pm me  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum