Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Consumers confused over TV technology  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Consumers confused over TV technology
« on: February 28, 2007, 23:02 »
Anyone who thinks consumers understand high-definition television should consider a recent survey by Leichtman Research Group.

It concluded that close to one-half of the 24 million households with HDTVs don't actually watch high-definition programs because they haven't obtained the necessary hardware from their cable, phone or satellite operators.

FULL STORY

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Consumers confused over TV technology
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:10 »
I can only watch a few bits of HD off my pc as I am still waiting for the new Dreambox 8000 HD satellite receiver to come out   :(

At least I have a good quality picture on my HDTV while watching SDTV as its CRT and so it doesnt have the SDTV problems associated with HD LCD or Plasma TVs  :)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:15 »
I don't think a lot of people really care that much.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:52 »
I suspect you may be right, MB.  The picture quality on conventional televisions has satisfied many people for decades.  The improvement can't be that important if viewers can't tell if they're watching HD or not.

Of course, consumers may have been replacing old televisions with the latest standard in anticipation of HD becoming more readily available, but somehow I doubt it.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 12:32 »
The only reason I bought a new TV was because my old one would only show a good picture when using the RGB scart socket and I had too many boxes to connect to a single scart and even with a remote controlled 6 scart switcher it was getting to be too inconvenient.

I cant really see a big advantage for HD over SD, apart from wildlife and planet earth type programmes, they look brilliant, its like real life and almost 3D in appearance as there doesnt appear to be the same depth of field limitations that you get with normal SD. If the cameraman has done his job properly the whole scene is in focus from the foreground to the background.
The hype around the world cup being in HD and the push to sell HDTV sets for that would have disappointed many people I should think.
I dont think the action on the field would be much different, apart from usually being on a bigger screen than they had before, but they would be able to see the faces of the people in the crowd more clearly rather than just a blurry blob for a face.

So far most TV viewing where there isnt a lot of detail required to be seen in the normally out of focus areas you wouldnt really see the difference.
HD is supposedly 4 x sharper than SD but I havent noticed it on anything thats in focus as much as the improvement was between 405 and 625 line TV, that was really dramatic.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 16:06 »

At least I have a good quality picture on my HDTV while watching SDTV as its CRT and so it doesnt have the SDTV problems associated with HD LCD or Plasma TVs  :)

What super beastie have you got Sandra, is it one of those slimline Samsungs ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 17:32 »
It is Dave.
Its the W32Z419 model, HDTV with built in freeview.
They do versions with freeview and no HD and a version with HD and no freeview as well.
When I got mine last summer it was retailing at £499-99 and only available from Currys.
I got it online and had a code for a voucher that reduced it to £479-99 and it came with the stand and a Goodmans 5.1 surround system, supposedly worth around £100 which I stil havent opened up as I have a better system already, I may use it in the bedroom at some point.
A friend just bought the non HD with freeview model yesterday for £369-99 and the same one as mine is now on sale fom Currys for £399-99 I think, maybe even cheaper at some places as I believe other stores are now selling my model.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:39 »
What's the verdict Sandra.  The three things that put me off it are...

its made by Samsung.  Everything i own made by them ie a hard drive, dvd-r discs, STB and lcd's i have seen in pubs etc are all a bit dodgy  :-X

its sold by Currys  :ack:

the reduced depth gives geometry problems especially around the edges.

But if you say it's good then thats good enough for me  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:32 »
I havent touched the settings at all Dave, just plugged it in and let it find all the channels.
On SD the picture is perfect, there is a slight bowing upwards in the centre if you are watching something with a scolling banner like on Sky News or BBC News 24 but other than that I havent noticed any of the geometry problems or blurring in the corners reported by some members on AVforum.

The only way I can watch HD at the moment is via my PC, the pictures a little bit red but I expect thats the GFX card settings, as I am hoping to upgrade the card in the near future and as its not that much of a problem I havent tried adjusting it.
Theres a slight wavy edge which most people dont notice, which I can correct by altering the overscan/underscan setting in the Nvidia control centre by just pushing that wavy bit off the edge of the screen, its less than half an inch wide.

The one thing I am disappointed in is that it doesnt have SPDIF or even analogue audio out so I dont use the built in audio as all my boxes have SPDIF out and I connect them to my surround sound amp, it would have been nice to have them all plugged into the tv and have a single SPDIF feed out to my amp.

I have a friend who bought a 36 inch Toshiba CRT bundled with a DVD and VCR a few years ago for around £2,000 and he reckons my picture is better on SD than his and the HD is excellent (obviously he hasnt got HD).

For the price I dont think you can get anything better.
Hopefully in a few years flat panel TVs, probably SED or OLED will be out and they should overcome the problems that LCD and Plasma have.
That should mean CRT quality at LCD and plasma size and hopefully nearer to CRT prices as the technology is supposedly cheaper to produce.
At that point my Sammie may end up in the bedroom as a lot more stuff will be available in HD and I may want a bigger screen for the lounge especially as the 32 inch it is suposed to be is only around 30 inches visible.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 20:52 »
Thanks for your thoughts Sandra and for the link to that review Lona  :D  I've got a Toshiba 32 inch CRT (32PW48), the picture on it is fantastic ( via component it's as good as any HD LCD i've seen in the shops).  Trouble is it has an achilles heel which is a couple of modules that are well documented for failing anytime after a year old.  Mine failed a few weeks ago and was replaced as i'd taken out a service contract on it as i rely on the tv so much.  I just feel i'd like a decent backup tv and i'm singularly unimpressed with LCD.  I've seen a panny plasma that looks quite good but the idea of an HD CRT is simply mouthwatering.  Apparently the americans have shed loads to choose from but we have very few (maybe only 1  ???). As i mentioned i just wish it wasnt Currys who were selling it.  I've had a couple of run ins with them in the past and they're just about the last company i really want to give my business to, but needs must i guess  :P

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 14:54 »
I think Comet sell them as well, Dave.  I think they are a much better company to deal with.

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=363693

OR

There is this one on Dixons which is buy online only.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0189191668.1173020144@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladdkfkgjkelcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=15&sm=1&tm=0&sku=390869&category_oid=-28587

Different model number but slim line just the same.  I think this is a later model from Sandra's
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 14:57 by Lona »
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 16:31 »
The Z429 is freeview but not HD, the Z428 and Z409 are HD but have no freeview tuner.
The one you have linked to from Dixons is the same as mine the Z419 and has both HD and freeview, as far as I know there arent any other models available in the UK that do both HD and freeview CRT TVS.

Theres been a recent announcement from Samsung saying that they are now using a different chip in their slimline range which is supposed to overcome some of the problems that some people have found with their TVs, as you mentioned earlier Dave.
Not sure when those sets will appear in the shops though.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 19:17 »
Some good observations there  ;) I'll let you know my thoughts if i get one. I've still got to get past the finance committee  :woot:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum