Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Ten reasons why you should buy a Mac  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Ten reasons why you should buy a Mac
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:16 »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 18:02 by sam »

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Ten reasons why you should by a Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 15:08 »
all good points. macs rock.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:48 »
Is it easy to upgrade components in a mac? ie, video cards, HDD's ,PSU, ?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:29 »
I think Sam is probably the best person to answer that gmax.

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:26 »

I would like one of these so i could rip the guts out and put a pc in it, it would
make a good project.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 14:27 »
 :pmsl:  It would probably do wonders for your kudos here on Earth gmax but please be aware that people have been sent to hell for far lesser sins than that!   :devil: :devil: :devil:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 16:30 »
Is it easy to upgrade components in a mac? ie, video cards, HDD's ,PSU, ?

umm, yes and no. It depends on the mac and the hardware. I know hard drives are not normally a problem. Video cards can be done but you have to remember that Mac OS X is designed for specific hardware so you can but not much range, it is getting better. PSU - no chance, yet but again I am sure there are ways around this but I don't know particularly. I would not say buying a mac for a modder is a good idea but OS X is the reason to have a mac, its so good. I really hopped that apple would release it to a wider audience when the intels came around but alas no. Smart move, they dont wanna go os against os. Currently the only way to get mac os x is to have a mac, means more money for them and not the competition with M$ that they are avoiding. Give it time and you can, though I'm sure more knowledgable people have ripped these f***ers apart before.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 18:15 »
Sam surfing the net i ran accross a couple places that have been putting osx on windows machines

their are some mods they have been using

I cant find the locations for now but i was surfing for mac information when i found it

the new intel boards are getting the experimentor out and moving wont be long before the switch can be made easily
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:37 »
OS X is the reason to have a mac

That is the reason not to have a mac, lack of software support, neither my mobile phone or my GPS are supported by mac OS X, I guess if your into graphics and basic
stuff their good.

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:25 »
:pmsl:  It would probably do wonders for your kudos here on Earth gmax but please be aware that people have been sent to hell for far lesser sins than that!   :devil: :devil: :devil:

If i end up in heaven or hell i'm not fussed! :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 10:06 »
OS X is the reason to have a mac

That is the reason not to have a mac, lack of software support, neither my mobile phone or my GPS are supported by mac OS X, I guess if your into graphics and basic
stuff their good.

if you want an that you can leave running for a 4 months, like I have, without it needing to be restart then the mac os x is perfect!

I would not say basic stuff either, quite a large portion of the professional astronomy community now use macs. Macs  run faster than their windows counterparts and have a wide range of tools available, especially if you are a unix head.

I'd agree there is a lack of support for external devices (its getting better and there are loads of project pages around the place with hacks on how to get devices to work)... but has anyone turned on a vista machine, no support for anything really.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:16 »
if you want an that you can leave running for a 4 months, like I have, without it needing to be restart then the mac os x is perfect!

No thanks, electricity is expensive in Australia :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 10:53 »

No thanks, electricity is expensive in Australia :)

yeah but gmax, I'm talking about sticking it into hibernate mode when I put it in my bag... I then open it up and i'm go.. no waiting around! You close the lid, off it goes, open it.. its there ready to go... which is well cool.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum