Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pipex Broadband  (Read 8503 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pipex Broadband
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 22:26 »
You lucky lot.  I can't get cable in my area but would certainly consider it if I had the option.  I'm finding Zen incredibly good for now.  Only drawback is the restriction of 20gig per month but so far I have never reached my target.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 22:32 »
You lucky lot.  I can't get cable in my area but would certainly consider it if I had the option.  I'm finding Zen incredibly good for now.  Only drawback is the restriction of 20gig per month but so far I have never reached my target.

I cant get cable either Lona, but now Virgin are doing a service via your BT line. That is what Im having.

;D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 22:42 »
  I cant get cable either Lona, but now Virgin are doing a service via your BT line. That is what Im having.

;D

Hope you read this Delgado........................

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/traffic_faqs.html#heaviest

My friend is on virgin BB and they do manage your connection.  It's a giant con that your sevice is unlimited.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 23:08 »
Everything is a giant con!  To be honest, I'm starting to think I could do without the drama of changing providers.  Pipex might be sh*ts as a company, but at the moment, I can't fault the service, and better the devil you know...

That said, I am quite attracted by Zen, and the 20Gb limit wouldn't be a problem for me.  I would rather have a constant fast connection, without peaks and troughs, but I don't think I would get a faster connection than I have with Pipex, because BT haven't upgraded the lines in my area yet, so we are only averaging between 2 and 4Mbps at best.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 00:13 »
Have a look here Simon :

http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html

This package looks ok :

Home MAX 30 30 GB 300 GB £19.99

Supposedly no throttling or restrictions on speeds at all and I think I read that you could have 5 email addresses last time I looked but cant see it at the moment.
It comes in at about the 5th or 6th best ISP on ISPpreview.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 08:25 »
Hope you read this Delgado........................

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/traffic_faqs.html#heaviest

My friend is on virgin BB and they do manage your connection.  It's a giant con that your sevice is unlimited.

Hi Lona-

Yes I have already read this, but they only do it between 4pm and Midnight. As I am retired now that dosent really matter, as I do most of my downloading in the day.

I have not come across any ISP that dosent manage connections, unless you pay very high prices that are rediculous. You either have a limit on your connection or its managed.

For £19-99 I think, as it includes all phone calls free in the UK, its a fair deal. You have to have a BT line of course, which you pay BT £11 .

;D

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 09:38 »
Have a look here Simon :

http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html

This package looks ok :

Home MAX 30 30 GB 300 GB £19.99

Supposedly no throttling or restrictions on speeds at all and I think I read that you could have 5 email addresses last time I looked but cant see it at the moment.
It comes in at about the 5th or 6th best ISP on ISPpreview.

Thanks San.  Can't say I've ever heard of them though.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 12:08 »
I hadnt heard of them until I was looking at the top ten on ISPReview.
Its only a monthly contract too which makes it easy to get away from if they turn out to be not as good as they seem.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 08:40 »

Ive tried this question on another Security Forum, but didnt get a sensible answer, so now asking it here where I always get sensible response.

:thumbs:

Has anyone ever used PC Guard Security Suite that is given free with Virgin? If so, how did you find it?

;D

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 09:37 »
Can't say I've ever heard of that one, DG.  I assumed it was one of the other suites, rebranded, but the screenshots don't look familiar, other than a slight resemblance to Bullguard.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 10:21 »
Can't say I've ever heard of that one, DG.  I assumed it was one of the other suites, rebranded, but the screenshots don't look familiar, other than a slight resemblance to Bullguard.

Thanks for reply Simon- it is a suite put out by a Company that looks after ISPs, but Ive just Googled it, and the opinions seem to be that its bloated and slows down things like Norton. Not to be recommended I think.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 10:42 »
Oh I used to use Bullguard many years ago when I was on Win95.  If I remember correctly it would bark rather loudly when it wanted your attention.  To be honest I wasn't impressed and switched to Norton's when I upgraded to Win 98.  Some would say "out of the frying pan and into the fire" which is why I now use AVG.

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 10:44 »
Oh I used to use Bullguard many years ago when I was on Win95.  If I remember correctly it would bark rather loudly when it wanted your attention.  To be honest I wasn't impressed and switched to Norton's when I upgraded to Win 98.  Some would say "out of the frying pan and into the fire" which is why I now use AVG.

I now use AVG with its own Firewall, but sometimes wonder if its up to the job! Maybe something like Kaspersky would be safer.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 11:28 »
I have a friend who uses the free virgin suite and he seems to like it but when I have used his pc it annoys me as its always coming up with warnings as Clive said, and you have to close the box before you can do anything more with the pc.

Incidentally this guy isnt a newbie, hes the guy who taught me most of what I know about pcs in the early days of me having a pc  :o

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 12:04 »
Clive, I can't believe you're still using AVG after all those viruses got through on Mrs Clive's machine!

DG, it seems Kaspersky has been in for a bit of a rough ride over on Wilders.  On balance, I would still recommend the F-Secure over all the rest, as it seems to be the one people complain about the least.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum