Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BB Disaster  (Read 15050 times)

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
BB Disaster
« on: February 27, 2003, 17:24 »
got my BB today. I was told the minimum requirements are windows 98, a usb port and pentium II. I have windows 98 the usb port and Cyrix 6x86 which is the same I'm told. When I have installed it  says that I need pentium II and 233mhz processor speed and I only have 224. Any ideas what I need to do and a rough cost?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:BB Disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 19:02 »
One door opens, and another one slams in your face, eh Whiskas?  I know you're not rich, but I'd seriously consider going the whole hog and buying a brand new system.  PC's as old as yours just aren't economically viable to upgrade now.

A fairly basic but fast one can be had quite cheaply here.  You may have to live on beans on toast for little while! ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 19:10 »
That seems a bargain if ever I saw one.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 19:16 »
That's sooo unfair Whiskas :(

I'm not sure there is much you can do to upgrade your PC, you will need to replace most of it I'm afraid. It's as old as the hills in computer terms :( Unless you know of a source of second-hand parts, you will need to buy, at a minimum, new motherboard, processor, RAM and case. You should be able to salvage the hard drive, CD-ROM and floppy drive from your old PC.

An integrated motherboard should cost around £60, the processor about £30 for low end one, about £40 for a decent case and about £30-£60 for memory. You'll also need to find someone to put it all together for you.

Around £200 should get you a half decent PC :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 19:33 »
That's real tough luck Whiskas.  

Linking to what Sean and Rodders have already said, a Motherboard Bundle, again from Novatech, might be another option.  According to the sales pitch, these come ready made up and tested, so just need screwing into your case. This would enable you to keep your existing Hard Drive, but I have to say, if it were me, and the cost wasn't prohibitive, I'd be more inclined to go for a complete new package.

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 19:37 »
And you will still be able to use your old computer while you are comissioning your new one.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 20:56 »
I may be wrong, but I believe those upgrade bundles would require an ATX power supply.   :(

Does anyone have any obsolete bits taking up space, that they'd be willing to part with for a fair price as they'd be going to a good home?   :)

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 21:15 »
Whiskas ... that makes two of us lol... I have had a nightmare trying to get connected to BB yesterday and today

As far as a pc goes ... I actually have a spare P2-233 lying around, but its not working, needs a little TLC, but I'm sure I can get it functioning again, if you can wait a little bit ... I don't know much about it other than the SCSI CD doesn't work .. I should be able to remove that and then it just needs a CD and HD

Let me know if you need it
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 01:05 »
A local computer company said they could do it for about £200 with all the things Adept said but that it still wouldn't be suitable for BB. The company Rodders mentioned offer this

Processor  AMD Athlon XP 1800+  
Processor Speed  1.533GHz  
Memory  256MB RAM  
Hard Drive  40GB ATA100 HDD  
AGP Graphics  Up to 64MB 128-Bit Shared  
Drive 1  CD-ROM Drive  
Drive 2  NA  
Modem  56K  
Sound  16-Bit 3D Onboard  
Floppy Drive  1.44MB 3.5"  
Case  Mini Tower Micro ATX  
Drive Bays  2 x 5.25", 1 x 3.5"  
Memory Slots  2 x DIMM  
Memory Capacity  512MB  
Keyboard & Mouse  PS2  
USB Ports  4 x USB 1.0 (2 Front, 2 Back)  
Firewire  No  
Networking Port  1 x 10/100 RJ45  
Serial Port  Yes  
Parallel Port  Yes  
Dimensions (mm)  185w x 361h x 421d  
Operating System  None  
Front Side Bus Speed  266MHz  
Warranty  12 Mths RTB  
Notes  NULL  

Dunno if it is Pentium II though

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 02:10 »
Does the difference between 224 and 233 really matter?
I cant see how cpu speed affects whether you can connect or not  ???
What does it do when you try and install and use it Whiskas?

Edited to add : Its the equivalent of a P3 Whiskas,if you get that dont let Bat talk you into overclocking it as it will be like lighting compared to your current one as it is ;)

Which modem (make and model)is it? Who or what said your PC wasnt fast enough?

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 07:27 »
That's what came up on the comp when I put the BB installation CD in. Has to be pentium II and 233mhz even though cyrix 6x86 is the equivalent of a pentium II

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 09:36 »
That spec looks fine Whiskas ... the only thing is .. it doesn't have the BB modem, which you will have to get. It has everything else, and is a fast machine

Now ... overclocking ... :heehee:
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 12:16 »
Just as a general query, are there any pros / cons as far as internal / external BB modems are concerned?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2003, 15:44 »
Pro Ext is that its easier to swap from PC to PC,has lights on usually so you can see if the link is ok.Also its easier to replace if its faulty and doesnt take up a PCI slot if you are on a short board.
Con Ext is that its more clutter on your desk or wherever it is,(mines ok as its hung on the wall out of the way).
The internal is the converse of these pro/cons.
Performance should be slightly better on an internal but I would have thought that it wouldnt be perceivable in reality,especially as the external could have more equipment inside that could speed things up a little :-*

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2003, 16:40 »

That's what came up on the comp when I put the BB installation CD in. Has to be pentium II and 233mhz even though cyrix 6x86 is the equivalent of a pentium II

That will be the minimum spec reguired Whiskas, the one Rod highlighted will fly, The XP is AMDS current mainstream range chip, I'm running a XP2000+

The AMD 1.533GHz chip is as fast as an Intel 1.8GHz chip hence it is called a XP1800+

I know were you can get a W2K OS if you need one  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum