Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Firefox Help Needed  (Read 1680 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Firefox Help Needed
« on: May 30, 2007, 16:42 »
Hi, everybody.

I am a regular user of a well known camping website.  Unfortunately, many of the people who post on there (and there can be 2000 people online at any one time, so there are thousands of posts every day) have the very bad habit of posting incredibly long URLs.  This causes the page to become up to three times the normal width of a computer screen, which means that you keep having to scroll left to right and back again the read the message.

As a result, I tend to use the Opera browser for this website as Opera has a "Fit to Screen Width" toolbar button that enables you to see the whole of the page without scrolling left - right - left.  Is there an Add-on for Firefox that does this?

Also, in Firefox 1.5, there was an option to force a link to open in the same Window instead of tabs.  Does anyone know if this feature is hidden in version 2.x and, if so, how to enable it?

Thanks.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Firefox Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 19:18 »
not sure, but if anyone does it will be simon...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 19:49 »
Not sure about FF 1.5, Dave, but FF 2.0 has Automatic Image Resizing built in, although I'm not sure whether it would work for URLs.  Post a link, if you like, and I'll check it out in FF 2.0 for you, but I have a feeling it may require a mod on the actual forum software, like we have on here.

In FF 2.0, under Tools > Options > Tabs, there is an option to open new pages in a new window, but I have always found the Tabs system to have a mind of it's own.  I don't like Tabs, and that is one of the reasons I stick with Sea Monkey.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 19:10 »
Post a link, if you like, and I'll check it out in FF 2.0 for you......

Thanks, Simon.   :)

Here is one of the pesky threads:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=108619&PagePosition=1

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 19:40 »
I have firefox 2.0.0.3

i have to scroll some but not much
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 21:39 »
Thanks, Simon.   :)

Here is one of the pesky threads:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=108619&PagePosition=1

Yeah, I don't think there's anything Firefox can do about that, Dave.  It's the message board software that needs a mod to limit the width of urls.  On some forums, you often see something like http://www.websitewebsitewebsite.../index.php, the '...' being the break in the url.  On ours, you automatically get a horizontal scroll bar directly beneath a long url, that doesn't affect the overall page width.

My suggestion would be to have a word with the message board Admins, and see if they can come up with anything.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 09:27 »
OK, I'll do that.

Thanks for your help, Simon.   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum