Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Shutting Down Ubuntu  (Read 1506 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Shutting Down Ubuntu
« on: May 30, 2007, 23:39 »
Having installed Ubuntu onto a computer for the first time, when I try to switch the computer off it won't shut down.  I simply get a black screen with the Ubuntu logo and a white outline bar across the screen.

How can I correct this?

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Shutting Down Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:27 »
umm, thats odd I have not seen this issue before... you could try opening up one of the other displays...

to change the display press ctrl + alt and the function key, they work as F1 = display... etc. Now login on one of the non-graphical displays (same login as the graphic one, note your graphical display is probably number 7) and then type HALT and that should do it. I'm not sure why it is hanging, maybe see if you can do the restart... it could be a task hanging. If when you are shutting down it asks you to display verbose mode, do that - you should be able to see where it is having a problem.. maybe we can then fix it. What version of Ubuntu are you using (i.e. Edgy / Dapper)?

Hope this is of use.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum