Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Signed Up to Tiscali  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Signed Up to Tiscali
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31 »
When the router assigns the LAN IP you set the port forwarding to use the ports to that LAN IP address.
That will never change, unless you do as I said in my earlier post and change PCs connected to the router.

What can change is the WAN IP from your ISP, depending on whether you have a static or a dynamic IP, if you switch the router off and back on again.
This wont affect your P2P as when you connect to whichever service you use as its not WAN IP dependant, the ports will still be opened to the LAN IP that you set it to, so its no different in that respect to how a modem works.

Hope this clears things up  :)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 11:38 »
Thanks Sandra

Might have another go with it then!

;D ;D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 11:52 »
Not quite sure about DHCP (or indeed, what it is!), but I also have a Netgear router, and as long as you set it to automatically get the IP dynamically from the ISP, it should sort itself out, DG.  Try going into the router settings, and look on the Basic settings page.  You should find, under the log in details, a tick button to automatically select the IP dynamically from the ISP.  Try that and see if it makes any difference.

I agree about the benefit of additional security, but it does come at a price, as you do have to fiddle about opening ports, and allowing services for P2P networks.  You also have to make sure that your P2P client isn't set to automatically select a new port each time it starts, or you will keep having to reset the router to the new port.

My point is the same as DG's, in that an ADSL modem requires very little maintenence, and is simple to set up.  There are obviously pros and cons with each, but for a single PC, with no networking requirements, disregarding the security aspects (which a good software firewall will take care of), a router isn't essential.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 10:29 »
Thanks Sandra and Simon-

Got my Netgear Router working OK now-I didnt realise that the router assigned an address to my PC. My BT Voyager relied on me setting my PC to a Static address.

Got e-mule working on ports forwarded, but u-Torrent appears to work ok without forwarding a port, cant understand why that is, but thats computers I suppose.

:laugh:

Sorry Dave-we appear to have hijacked your post-how is your Tiscali connection now? Still ok I hope.

:D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum