Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Connecting to internet after sleep mode.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline castro

Connecting to internet after sleep mode.
« on: July 24, 2007, 13:48 »
I have a good wireless connection to my laptop. If I close the lid and go into "sleep mode" then reconnect, the connection to the router is ok but I cannot browse the internet. This does not happen every time. When it does happen, I have to reboot to get a connection.  The router shows that the laptop is connected. My pc, connected to the same router works ok so it's not the router.
Any ideas please.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Connecting to internet after sleep mode.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 20:35 »
There will be some other suggestions, Castro, but the only thing I can think of at the moment is that it could be something to do with a software firewall.  Do you have one on the laptop?  I'm just thinking, maybe the firewall is not 'waking up' fully from sleep mode for some reason, and therefore your internet connection is blocked?  Next time it happens, try restarting the firewall, and see if it has any effect, if only to eliminate that as a possible cause.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline castro

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:28 »
Hi Simon.
Thanks for reply.
I think that I will have to disable the software firewall in order to check out this solution.
Do you know how effective the router is as a firewall?
Will the inbuilt windows firewall, which is presently disabled, be ok to use in the short term?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:57 »
The router firewall should be safe to rely on for a short period of testing.  In fact, some people rely on their router firewalls entirely, and don't use a software firewall, but personally, I prefer the safety blanket of both.  Just test it with a safe website (such as here), and you should be fine, or, as you mentioned, use Windows Firewall temporarily if you are particularly concerned.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline castro

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 14:10 »
Thanks simon.
I will give it a try and report back in a few days.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 19:14 »
My laptop (an IBM / Lenovo) does this too!

Only way I fix it is to switch off the wireless (Fn + F5) then switch it on again.  Only takes a few seconds.

Cheers, DJ.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum