Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: show unread posts since last visit  (Read 2740 times)

Offline merlin

show unread posts since last visit
« on: October 30, 2007, 19:32 »
when i log on to this site ,and go to "show unread posts since last visit " it does not show any can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong ? :( :dunno:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: show unread posts since last visit
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 19:49 »
I'm sure Simon can help you out on that Merlin!  :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 20:15 »
You have to allow the site to set and store a cookie in your browser to enable that function, Merlin.  That will also keep you logged in, so that you don't have to do so each time you visit.  The cookie is harmless and doesn't hold any personal data, other than your log in details.  The software can then show you the new posts since you last visited.

Come back to us if you're not sure how to allow a cookie to be stored.  You will need to tell us which web browser you are using.

Hope that helps.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline merlin

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 21:39 »
hi simon you are right i do not know how to store a cookie, please help

also i use ccleaner, which is set to clear all cookies, if i store this magic cookie, will it get deleted by ccleaner ???  :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 22:07 »
Umm... err... not sure about CCleaner - does it clear all cookies automatically or only on demand?  If you go to Options > Cookies, there is a list of those to Delete, and also one for Cookies to keep.  I would suggest putting the 'pc-pals.com' cookie in the Keep list, as well as those from any other forums you regularly visit.

You'll have to tell me what browser you're using before I can help you with storing cookies - is it Internet Explorer, Firefox or another?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline merlin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 22:19 »
opps you did say "what broser am i using , forgot to say its ,internet explorer 6

thx

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 22:32 »
IE6!  :ack:  Have you thought of switching to something more secure, like Firefox, or even IE7?   :)

Right, I'm hoping it's the same in IE6, as in IE7, as I only have IE7 now, but if you go to Tools > Internet Options click the Privacy tab, there will hopefully be a button there labelled Sites.  Click that, type pc-pals.com in the box and click the Always Allow button.  That, in conjunction with keeping the cookie in CCleaner, should sort it for you.

Offline merlin

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:46 »
thx simon that worked, now getting "new" posts :thumbs: ok

about IE6, i tried IE7, firefox, and thunderbird , what a mess they all are, real crappoleno, went back to IE6, never had a problem with that,
guess its one man's meat etc ???  8-)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum