Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ad aware playing up  (Read 1838 times)

Offline KRO

ad aware playing up
« on: February 10, 2008, 18:31 »
hi, i have had ad-aware SE personal installed for a long time now (it's free) but it now will not update for some reason, it attempt's to, but only manages 5% and then an error pops up, does anyone know of any other good cleaners i could use (preferably free)
my pc seems really quite slow at the moment......
cheers kro.....

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re: ad aware playing up
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 20:07 »
http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/index.php?topic=24309.0

There is something about it here...... not sure how to refer you to a topic so I'll try that, if not search on ad aware
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 20:44 »
Can't add to that, Michelle.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 21:23 »
Aad-aware SE personal is no longer being updated and that's the reason it stops at 5%.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 22:17 »
Whatever you do, don't download AdAware 2007 - it's probably the worse piece of crap ever invented.  It only downloads updates when it's in the mood and then won't run half the time.

I uninstalled it recently and replaced it with SuperAntiSpyware Free (Simon's recommendation).  I also use Spybot Search and Destroy and they are good enough for me.

Incidentally, I wonder if software creators read this forum.  The other week, in a similar thread, I was slagging off AVG Free for taking ages to update.  A Couple of days later there was an optional update available.  I installed it and AVG is now updating in seconds rather than minutes.

Makes you wonder.....

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 23:02 »
Whatever you do, don't download AdAware 2007 - it's probably the worse piece of crap ever invented. 

Couldn't agree more Dave.  I ended up uninstalling mine and going back to Adaware SE personal, only to discover Lavasoft were no longer supporting it so I had to uninstall that too!  Software manufacturers seem to take one step forward then ten steps back!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 23:29 »
Incidentally, I wonder if software creators read this forum.  The other week, in a similar thread, I was slagging off AVG Free for taking ages to update.  A Couple of days later there was an optional update available.  I installed it and AVG is now updating in seconds rather than minutes.

Makes you wonder.....

The power of PC Pals!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline KRO

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 21:30 »
thanks for your replies and help peeps, i have downloaded super antispyware, should i also download spybot search and destroy along side it or leave as is ??

cheers kro.....

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 21:43 »
Personally, I wouldn't bother.  I already had Spybot S&D installed before I uninstalled AdAware and installed SuperAntiSpyware, so I left it alone, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered as I don't think it is going to catch anything that SuperAntiSpyware isn't.  Let's face it, if we wanted to we could fill up a hard drive with security programs, but we wouldn't be any more protected than we would be by having one decent one/

Offline KRO

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 23:21 »
yes that makes sense, thanks chorleydave...
cheers kro.....

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 02:00 »
I have ad aware 2007 installed and it updates no problem.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum