Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: O2 Broadband  (Read 1919 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
O2 Broadband
« on: June 08, 2008, 20:22 »
Does anyone use O2 for broadband internet ?  I've been thinking of trying them out.  I Just wondered how many filters they send with their kit, as I will need a few.  Can "any old" ADSL filter be used or do they come in different specifications....I've always been a cable user so I don't know much about ADSL  :dunno:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: O2 Broadband
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 20:44 »
They will probably send out 2 filters but I think all ADSL filters are the same.  You won't have any problem buying more if you should need them.   

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 20:50 »
I'm pretty sure a microfilter is a microfilter, but obviously, there are different degrees of quality available, Dave.  I have heard that ADSL Nation sell good quality products, but I haven't any experience of O2 as a broadband provider, so can't comment on what they send with their kit.  Do you know what routers they use?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 21:01 »
I don't know what router they use Simon, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.  Thanks for the info gents  :thumbs:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 00:24 »
We switched to O2 earlier this year and like it a lot.  We were supplied with a wireless enabled Thomson ST780 modem capable of supporting four devices through LAN.  I don't use wireless so I can't tell you much about that.  I can't remember how many filters were supplied but I think there were two.  They seem to be standard and I'm sure I could have used the filters supplied by my previous ISP.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 00:38 »
A friend has just signed up with them, supposed to be enabled tomorrow.
I went round on saturday with a better PC for her and had a look at what they had sent.
Its a Thompson 585 (v7) Adsl 2+ Wi Fi 4 ethernet port modem router, with 2 filters.
An ADSL filter/splitter is an ADSL splitter/filter, you dont need any special ones for different ISPs.

I decided to set it up ready for her to use on monday and was surprised to find that she was already enabled  :o
They had said that they would text her when it was enabled but hadnt done so at that time.
It looks like a good service, shes only supposed to be on the up to 8mb connection for £7-50 per month but the router shows her getting 18mb down and 1.3mb up.
Maybe once its been on a couple of days they may drop it to the paid for speed as I cant see them not knowing they have set it so high.
Unless its the training period  ::)
If you do go with them Dave you dont have to use the CD that comes with the router to set it up. I didnt, so she has a nice clean page when shes surfing, with none of the associated crap you usually get if you install the ISPs stuff  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37 »
Ta for info Sandra  ;) I'm getting it through a friend at o2 so should get it for £7-50.  If the speeds are anywhere near the 8MB max i'll be very pleased indeed.  I'm currently paying Virgin Media £18 for the privilege of a 2MB connection which gets throttled to 1MB as soon as you dare to use it in a broadband manner  :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 16:04 »
Let us know how you get on, Dave.  It seems Virgin are turning into the new Pipex.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52 »
Well so far so good.  I signed up for it over the phone yesterday afternoon. Amazingly it was an English speaking person in the UK  :woot:
Turns out that as i'm getting it through a friends and family scheme it's a flat charge of £7.50 for the fastest connection your line will support, which apparently is 16 Mb for mine. I've had multiple texts and also e-mails to my brand new o2 e-mail account  keeping me informed of progress.  Got an activation date for this Friday. 10/10 for O2 so far  ;)  And you're right Simon, the VM service is going down the pan  :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:55 »
Sounds good, Dave.  :thumb:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 17:23 »
Up and running with no problems. Getting about 3 Mb at the moment which considering i've got a long extension from the master socket and it's still in training mode is pretty good  :thumbs: Excellent service so far.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 17:41 »
Good news, Dave, but hopefully your speed will improve.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 20:56 »
Well anything is a bonus now Simon, to be honest 3Mb/s seems like greased lightning to me  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum