Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Anyone know what this is?
« on: March 16, 2003, 11:15 »
Application NT Kernel & System (ntoskrnl.exe)[/color] keeps being blocked by my Firewall, and I get a pop up alert.  Does anyone know what this is, and what it might be trying to do?  I would imagime it's something to do with Windows NT, but seems odd as I'm using XP, although I realise they are similar.

I recently switched from Norton 2003 to Sygate Pro Firewall, and I have been getting the alerts since then.  

Edit: Should have said, this is an incoming TCP from various IP addresses that is being blocked.  A Whois doesn't give much away.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

Re:Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 11:30 »
NTOSKRNL.EXE is a core part of Windows XP/2000/NT.

You should always allow it through your firewall. But also wake sure that it is regularly scanned for viruses/trojans as it is a popular file for attack!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 11:45 »
Thanks Sean, I'll have to take some time to read all that later.  

Can you just confirm I should allow INBOUND traffic to this NTOSKRNL.EXE, as that's what it seems to be blocking.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 11:49 »
I'm honestly not sure Simon :-X I would leave it as it is for the moment.

There are some more documents on the Sygate site regarding this. It's probably best to read them all before making a descision.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 11:58 »
OK, thanks

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum