Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BBC begins HD Freeview test  (Read 16013 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: BBC begins HD Freeview test
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 03:46 »
No reason to disbelieve them Gill. Its from a site that covers all sorts of satellite information from all over the world.

http://www.gccadm.net/forum/index.php

I think that you have to register to read anything on there.

I think they got the info from here after googling the guys name :

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200911295313/bbc-admits-hdtv-is-being-squeezed.html

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:48 by Sandra »

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 10:17 »
disgusting,

I must admit, the idea of having a full HD tv and being able to view HD content, was one of the prime movers for me spending £324 on the kit needed. And if I'm being honest, when I first switched from say a 568i program [which is great to what I was getting pre Freesat] to HD.....good but yes I was expecting some how to be really wowed.....then I thought ...possibly is it me expecting to much.

A bit like when watching trailers for soon to be released movies, when you actually watch the film, you realise you saw all the best bits in the pre release hype.

I've not seen BBC HD at the rate it was prior to it being altered, ha well I suppose I don't know what I now missing, so maybe it's better that way  ???

My Toshiba displays up to 1080p, I see the Humax Foxsat supports 576i, 576p,720i,720p and 1080i, I suppose Sky is the same. Buggered If I know what the difference is  between the i and p, or wither my eye could register the difference in the out put.

Got to say though, the more I find out what this Humax box can do the more I like it. Love the live TV, love the ease of recording or reserving straight from the EPG. Love the fact I can put all my music on the HDD.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:26 by Tony »
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19 »
Inevitable, though. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44 »
i = Interlaced, p = Progressive, but I can't explain further without Googling.  Progressive is better for sports, I believe, as there is less motion blur.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 12:58 »
The only way that you will get 1080p at the moment Tony, is from a Blu Ray DVD. I think there is one european satellite that was trialling 1080p broadcast but I cant remember which one at the moment. I dont know of any satellite boxes that do 1080p that are currently available.
I expect its a bit like freeview HD, they are going to start transmitting it in my region next wednesday but there isnt any equipment that can receive and decode it on sale yet, as far as I know. Once the service is running then the manufacturers will start to produce the equipment but they wont do it before so that we can be ready for the new service  ::)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2009, 17:58 »
cheers Sandra,

Well to be honest I'm happy with the reception I'm getting now.

But that seems to be the way of things don't it. Industry keeps pushing development of new products an e nth degree better and we all feel the need to have it...in short consumerism......I think I'll step of the treadmill again.......obviously after I get the up scaling DVD player [still out of stock] in at Argos but a fiver dearer.....Do I need it no....why do I want it, because its not an arm and a leg and I'm interested to see if it improves my DVD's there.........see what I mean.......... :crazy:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2009, 18:47 »
Of course, it has to be said that a £30 upscaling DVD player isn't going to be as good as a £300 one, so I wouldn't be too surprised if you're not awestruck with the difference, Tony.  That said, I bought a Denon DVD player for £250 a couple of years ago, and it produced a worse picture than my old Pioneer which didn't upscale.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 01:28 »
If you are passing anytime soon Tony, you can borrow my cheap upscaling DVD player to try it. I havent used it for 12 months or so as my Dreambox plays all my DVDs and its just sat in my bedroom doing nothing at the moment.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06 »
If you are passing anytime soon Tony, you can borrow my cheap upscaling DVD player to try it. I havent used it for 12 months or so as my Dreambox plays all my DVDs and its just sat in my bedroom doing nothing at the moment.

Should I bring my Jim Jams  :devil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 10:51 »
If you're lucky, you might not need them!  :devil:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 12:16 »
 :-X ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum