Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Firefox Add-ons not working.  (Read 7297 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Firefox Add-ons not working.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 09:48 »
The passwords should still be there, as uninstalling doesn't usually remove your profile, Kate.  Try looking in the location I posted above, and see if the folder is still there.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 09:53 »
I opened the signons3.txt, Simon, and it has only one password "PC Pals".  :bawl:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13 »
Can you list the addons you currently have installed? Most addons are compatible with FF3, its just that the creators of the addons haven't updated the version stamp. List your addons and ill edit them by hand and upload them if your really want to switch to v3.

Simon is probably right. Uninstall FF completely and then reinstall and add your addons. It'll ask you if you want to remove everything, and make sure you say yes.

I have installed some Add-ons from the FF3 site, but still need these;

Webmail Notifier

SmilieXtra

IMDb

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 10:14 »
you don't have another profile do you? Were you saved passwords in FF2 or FF3? as they will more than like have different folders.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 10:18 »
I have already uninstalled FF2 Sam, where would I find IE's data?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 10:23 »
you don't have another profile do you? Were you saved passwords in FF2 or FF3? as they will more than like have different folders.

Just what I was going to say.  Uninstalling will not usually remove your profile(s).  Try doing a Start > Search for 'signons', and see if that finds anything.  As for your add-ons:

Webmail Notifier

Smiley Xtra

IMDb

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 10:34 »
I have already uninstalled FF2 Sam, where would I find IE's data?

but it normally doesn't delete the data - it will keep the profile (unless you told it to delete it). It should be in a similar folder to what Simon said.

As for IE... not an idea, I'm not sure I've used IE todo anything apart from webrowsing at conferences for about 5 years! :-D
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43 »
The search only came up with the profile signons txt I had already looked at, so it seems they have been deleted.

It does ask if you want all bookmarks and customizations removed......  :(

Thanks for the Add-ons Simon, will get to it soon.

but it normally doesn't delete the data - it will keep the profile (unless you told it to delete it). It should be in a similar folder to what Simon said.

As Bob suggested Sam, I made sure everything was removed.

Simon is probably right. Uninstall FF completely and then reinstall and add your addons. It'll ask you if you want to remove everything, and make sure you say yes.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • bob
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 18:19 »
Yes, I told you to do this. It's my fault for not thinking to tell you to backup your bookmarks. I'll PM you a recovery software to let you scan for the html document. Try not to install anything until you scan, you wouldn't want to overwrite the deleted files.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 23:02 »
Not sure what Bob's sending, which may well do the trick, but there is also something called Recuva, which you could try, Kate.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 09:52 »
Yes, I told you to do this. It's my fault for not thinking to tell you to backup your bookmarks. I'll PM you a recovery software to let you scan for the html document. Try not to install anything until you scan, you wouldn't want to overwrite the deleted files.

It's okay Bob, you showed me how to export my bookmarks to the desktop, which I did, thank you. It's my passwords I'm trying to recover after uninstalling everything.

Not sure what Bob's sending, which may well do the trick, but there is also something called Recuva, which you could try, Kate.

Thanks Simon, I ran it and it found 2 signons.txt, neither appear to be what I'm after. One is 25kb and starts with this,
PK
     C89@_  _  !   content/reporter/reportWizard.xul<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
   - Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1

I have no idea what it is all about, the other is only 1kb with this,

ILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE:3252 - Failed to initialize CoClass Controller with error: 80040154, terminating networking!

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • bob
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 10:52 »
Did you download and use the recovery software I PM you the link for? The pro version of Recover4all is capable of recovering your entire firefox profile: bookmarks, cookies, passwords, and so on.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 12:17 »
Thanks Simon, I ran it and it found 2 signons.txt, neither appear to be what I'm after. One is 25kb and starts with this,   
I have no idea what it is all about, the other is only 1kb with this,

I would have thought that the 25kb one is the one you want, but if it doesn't look right, then it's possibly been overwritten.  You could restore it and try it - you have nothing to lose if the passwords are gone anyway.

Bob's thing looks promising, so give that a go as well. 

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 12:29 »
I would have thought that the 25kb one is the one you want, but if it doesn't look right, then it's possibly been overwritten.  You could restore it and try it - you have nothing to lose if the passwords are gone anyway.

Bob's thing looks promising, so give that a go as well. 

I did start a deep scan Simon, but cancelled it to try Bobs.

Did you download and use the recovery software I PM you the link for? The pro version of Recover4all is capable of recovering your entire firefox profile: bookmarks, cookies, passwords, and so on.

I'm doing now, I've had minimal internet connection tonight. Took me 20 minutes and half a dozen tries to pm you, and I still can't open my emails. At least we're beating the Kiwi's in rugby match on tele.  ;D

Why couldn't I use quote for Reno's reply, I tried it a few times and it wouldn't do it, odd? Same as not being able to send a pm to him, coincidence, I'm sure.  ':|

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 12:39 »

Quote worked for me.  :dunno:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum