Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Partial Solar Eclipse visible from the UK on the morning of 1st August  (Read 10074 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
On 1st August 2008 there will be a total eclipse of the Sun, visible from Canada, northern Greenland, Svalbard, the Barents Sea, Russia, Mongolia and China. From the whole of the British Isles observers will see a partial solar eclipse, with between 1/10th and 1/3rd of the Sun obscured by the Moon.

Total solar eclipses take place when the Earth, Moon and Sun are aligned and the shadow of the Moon touches the surface of the Earth. At mid-eclipse, observers within the lunar shadow briefly see totality, where the silhouette of the Moon completely covers the Sun, revealing the beautiful outer solar atmosphere or corona.

At its broadest, in this eclipse the lunar shadow is only 237 km (148 miles) wide but the shadow describes a path thousands of km long, traced out as the Earth rotates. The path begins in northeastern Canada, where observers will see the eclipse at sunrise, and then crosses northern Greenland, the Arctic, Barents Sea, Russia and Mongolia before ending in China where the eclipse is visible at sunset. On the ground the maximum duration of totality is 2 minutes 27 seconds but observers away from the centre of the track and at either end will see a significantly shorter event.

Away from the path of the total eclipse the Sun is only partly obscured by the Moon. This partial eclipse is visible across a large part of the northern hemisphere, including much of Europe and the whole of the UK, where it will take place in the morning.

In London the partial phase of the eclipse begins at 0933 BST (0833 GMT). Maximum eclipse is at 1018 BST (0918 GMT) when 12% of the Sun will be blocked. The partial eclipse ends at 1105 BST (1005 GMT).

Further north in the British Isles, observers enjoy a better view. From Edinburgh 23.5% of the Sun is covered and from Lerwick in the Shetland Isles, the Moon obscures 36% of the solar disk.

• Although eclipses of the Sun are spectacular events, they should NOT be viewed with the unaided eye except during the brief period of totality, which this time will not be visible anywhere in the UK. Looking at the partially eclipsed Sun without appropriate protection can cause serious and permanent damage to the eyes.

• The partial eclipse visible from the UK can be safely studied using purpose-designed solar filters available from reputable astronomical suppliers. Without these, the only safe ways to observe the Sun are to use a pinhole or telescope to PROJECT the Sun’s image onto card or to look at the natural dappled images under trees.

• On 1 August, some amateur astronomical societies and public observatories will be running events where members of the public can safely enjoy the eclipse.

Offline sam

• Administrator
looks like our observations are going to get on the tv.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
If it's as cloudy as today, no one will see it here anyway.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
oh but telescope really can help when it is as bright as the sun..
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
That reminds me.  I have a telescope!   ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
For once, we had clear skies throughout the apparition.    8-)  <---  me wearing my eclipse glasses.   :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Never saw a thing here.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
we had clear spells which gave us a great view.. and we got on central news... which unfortunately (though my mother likes it) included a shot of Lizzie standing in front of me.. oh how sweet. My interview got cut though.. some cat saved its sibling...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
I would not possibly be so bold as to speculate the method by which you were eclipsed by Lizzie whom I have met on several occasions.  ;D  All interviews get cut Sam. At least they didn't cut you out completely like they did to me last time!   :bawl:

Offline sam

• Administrator
true..... but I think with you they are normally worried about the glare on the shot  :laugh:

Oh and there were quite a few jokes about not needing the moon to move in front of the Sun with me around
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Unfortunately, thick black clouds obscured any view of it here.   :(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
true..... but I think with you they are normally worried about the glare on the shot  :laugh:

:bartmoon:  ;D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
I see on QI tonight that the Earth has 2 moons  :bartmoon: :bartmoon:

':|

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Yes, you can read all about it HERE

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Drat - missed it!

:(

I'll have to catch the repeat on UKTV Gold.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum