Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Climate Experts Tussle Over Details. Public Gets Whiplash.  (Read 5830 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
When science is testing new ideas, the result is often a two-papers-forward-one-paper-back intellectual tussle among competing research teams.

When the work touches on issues that worry the public, affect the economy or polarize politics, the news media and advocates of all stripes dive in. Under nonstop scrutiny, conflicting findings can make news coverage veer from one extreme to another, resulting in a kind of journalistic whiplash for the public.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/science/earth/29clim.html?ref=science
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Climate Experts Tussle Over Details. Public Gets Whiplash.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49 »
This is the first year ever that I had to put the heating on in June.  I rest my case! 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10 »
This is the first year ever that I had to put the heating on in June.  I rest my case! 

I had to last year - well, I would have, but it was the time I was having the trouble with British Gas, so I had no heating for the coldest two June weeks in history!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:57 »
Yet further proof of global warming!  ;D

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 14:14 »
When science is testing new ideas, the result is often a two-papers-forward-one-paper-back intellectual tussle among competing research teams.
When the work touches on issues that worry the public, affect the economy or polarize politics, the news media and advocates of all stripes dive in. Under nonstop scrutiny, conflicting findings can make news coverage veer from one extreme to another, resulting in a kind of journalistic whiplash for the public.

That really sums up what has been going on. I admit I'm a fence sitter on this one, but I'm leaning the way of climate change due to over population and deforestation, among other things.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 14:45 »

Old age don't come it's self Clive  :o:

;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 14:48 »
 :smirks:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum