Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: workgroups and shared folders  (Read 2394 times)

Offline arthurb

workgroups and shared folders
« on: August 16, 2008, 17:18 »
Hi All
I'd be grateful for some help / advice on the following. I've recently bought a laptop for travel use but whilst at home it is used elsewhere in the house.
My queries are:
1. My laptop has a built in wireless modem, which has worked ok in a wifi hotel. However, I can never connect to my home wireless router without inserting the USB key (which I assume holds the key for the network). How can I set this up so that the USB key is not required but a security password will be? ???

2. When both my Home pc (desktop) and laptop are connected through my wireless router I'd like to be able to access some shared folders. How do you set this up? When I select network places on either machine it only lists the one device. I thought as part of the Workgroup the two pc's would be listed. Basically, all I want to do is be able to save into a common folder. :dunno:

For info, my desktop pc is XP and my laptop is Vista.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: workgroups and shared folders
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 17:24 »
1. My laptop has a built in wireless modem, which has worked ok in a wifi hotel. However, I can never connect to my home wireless router without inserting the USB key (which I assume holds the key for the network). How can I set this up so that the USB key is not required but a security password will be? ???

do you have your own wirelss router, or is it provided by some ISP - cause that could be their security implementation
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 17:52 »
As everyone knows Im not techie minded but do have the same set up as you XP on one Vista on others I entered the WEP number (on the side of router and it worked) its possible I have the wrong end of your question but this may be of help.

Mine asked me for password but I entered the WEP and it recognised my other machines....hope this may at least help,but bear in mind my opening comment..............cruel but reality  :crazy:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 21:03 »
Hi Arthur,

I'm not the most technically adept either, but here goes:

Once you've run the wireless set up wizard on both machines, you should, at some point, enter the WEP, or preferably WPA (more secure) password into both machines, which should then save the connection set up on the laptop, and you shouldn't have to enter it again, all the time you are using the same connection at home.

As for folder / file sharing, you have to make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled on both machines (I think it should have given you the option in the connection set up wizard).  When you have created the folder you wish to share, in XP, right click it, select Sharing and Security, then tick the box to 'Share this folder on the network'.  Hopefully that should do it.  Oh, and you have to make sure File and Printer Sharing is allowed through your software firewall too.

If I haven't made it clear, or said something wrong, please come back to us.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline David

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 23:07 »
Just recalled I did use WPA silly me  ;)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:50 »
Phew. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline David

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:14 »
 :)x :)x See I do listen Rik  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 12:40 »
 ;D

Good news. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline arthurb

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 20:21 »
Thanks for taking the time to help me.  :thumbs:

I've tried all of the suggestions but I'm still dumbfounded. :dunno:

Am I right in saying that a network card is not necessary in my main pc as I'm using a wifi connection? :dunno:

I've ran the network wizard again to no avail. I wasn't asked for a password! ???

The only time I can recall being asked for a password for my wireless modem was during the initial set up almost 2 years ago.

To be honest I'm running around in circles and contemplating hiring a pro to set it up and get a bit tuition at the same time. ::)

Offline David

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 22:15 »
Im not the brightest star,but dont give up just yet.....the guys and girls here got me through harder than this and saved me a lot of money,someone will be along and they rarely give up......save your money  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 23:54 »
Thanks for taking the time to help me.  :thumbs:

It's what we do, only some of us do it better than others!   :blush:

Am I right in saying that a network card is not necessary in my main pc as I'm using a wifi connection? :dunno:

You need some sort of connectivity on the main PC to enable the network.  Is your wireless router connected to the main PC by an Ethernet cable?

I've ran the network wizard again to no avail. I wasn't asked for a password! ???

But did you run the Wireless Network Set Up Wizard, in Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections?  This is different to setting up a non-wireless network.

To be honest I'm running around in circles and contemplating hiring a pro to set it up and get a bit tuition at the same time. ::)

As David said, don't give up just yet.  This should be a relatively simple process - we just have to get to the bottom of what you've tried, and try to see why it hasn't worked.  Hopefully someone with more networking experience than me will be along to offer some guidance soon.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 23:58 »
These two Microsoft links were down when I tried, but if you can access them, they may help:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:18 »
the usb key thing confuses me a little, do you have to have it plugged in to your desktop machine for it to work?

... also it could be a firewall issue - do you have any firewall software installed?
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum