Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Vista Media Center  (Read 2318 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Vista Media Center
« on: September 26, 2008, 20:45 »
Whenever I record a TV programme using Media Center on my Vista computer, it not only records the programme but saves a supplementary .wmv file on my desktop which cannot be deleted.  Can anyone explain this and help me to delete these files?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Vista Media Center
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 22:22 »
I don't use Media Center for that purpose, so this may not be a solution, but a possible workaround, Gill:

1. Open Notepad (or any program with a File > Open menu).

2. File > Open and navigate to the file you want to delete.

3. Right click the file, and it should allow you to delete it.

If not, then the file could be locked.  Have you checked that WMC is fully closed before you try to delete the files?  Another method might be to use safe mode, but it would be a bit of a faff on a regular basis.

Maybe Sandra, or someone else who uses WMC will have some better ideas?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 00:16 »
I havent come across that Gill. Does it give a mesage when you try to delete it ?
Can you change the .wmv extension to something else and then delete it or will it not let you alter it in anyway ?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 00:24 »
It usually gives me an error message that the file is in use by another programme.  Sometimes it doesn't, so I delete it, empty the recycle bin, and continue; then later I notice the deleted file has been mysteriously restored again!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 00:28 »
Can you delete it as soon as you start the PC, before you run any other programs ?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 03:20 »
Yes, but it comes back!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:39 »
Thats a strange one Gill  :dunno:

Looks like its going to be a case of lots of looking around the net for a soultion, I am a bit busy this weekend but hopefully may get chance to try and find an answer later.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 15:46 »
It might be worth doing a full virus/malware sweep before going any further, Gill.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 18:07 »
I've run an anti-malware sweep but the problem persists.  Any more suggestions?

:(

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 18:13 »
Is there a utility I can run to show which programs are still using the video files and preventing them from being deleted?

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 18:24 »
Success (I think) :) .

I downloaded Unlocker which told me it was something called Mencoder using my file and asked me if I wanted to stop the process.  I did, and now the file has been deleted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 20:45 »
It sounds like you've downloaded MEncoder from somewhere, Gill, perhaps inadvertently, or maybe you required it for some purpose?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEncoder

Presumably, if it's causing problems, and you don't need it, you can uninstall it?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 00:50 »
It was part of some software I downloaded when I was trying to edit video files a while back.  As you may know, Vista isn't the best OS when it comes to editing video  ::) .

I removed the Mencoder software earlier but it seemed to have embedded itself in the registry, so I was unable to play any video files after deleting it. I've run a system restore but haven't had a chance to try any videos yet.  It looks as if I shall have to learn to live with using Unlocker every time I want to delete a video file.  At least they can be deleted now :) .

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum