Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: On The Buses' Varney dies at 92  (Read 2820 times)

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
Re: On The Buses' Varney dies at 92
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 15:55 »
For me, Thaw will always be Jack Regan.  I never saw any of the Morse programmes when they were originally broadcast, choosing to read the books first.  Then they slipped my mind until a few months ago when I saw a boxed collection available in a remaindered book store for just £10!  I finished reading them all last week and decided to watch one of the Morse repeats on ITV3 (or ITV4).  What a disappointment!  Thaw didn't portray Morse in any way like I imagined him from the books.  The script was formulaic and predictable, quite unlike any of Colin Dexter's original plots.

I liked John Thaw in Goodnight, Mr Tom, though.

I agree John Thaw in Goodnight Mr Tom overcame the ropey accent and really made this.I have it on DVD and watch it every now and again.He played Morse really well,although I have not read the books I understand the character of Morse was a drunkard and a womaniser but I did enjoy the series.I was a fan of Cavenah though I thought this was played well. With Morse I believe the Tv people changed the format to fit into a more acceptable TV role although I have seen interviews with Colin Dexter he did not complain

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: On The Buses' Varney dies at 92
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 16:58 »
I could be ready in time to watch On The Buses.  Stan, Blakey and Jack were always a treat.

I saw Jack (Bob Grant) in a west end play back in the early '70's and he was an extremely talented actor. 

I often watch Channel 4 too.  I guess that makes it four channels worth watching:  BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and C4.

I would have to add News 24 and the History Channel. 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum