Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Food Timeline!  (Read 8542 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: The Food Timeline!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 23:41 »
I have to say, I've never actually had pumpkin, as I'd always thought it was like parsnip or swede, which I don't like.

Did you know that in the second world war, parsnips were mashed and flavoured to make them taste like bananas?  Just cook and mash the parsnips, let them cool, then add banana essence.  It's true, I saw it on The Wartime Kitchen & Garden!  Towards the end of the war, however, they ran out of banana essence, so I suppose there was something to be said for U-boats after all.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 23:56 »
No, I didn't know that, Gill, and am left wondering... why?  If there was a shortage of bananas, I'd have just assumed they'd have gone without.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 00:11 »
The people on the TV series tasted the artificial banana and were left asking the same question as you, Simon.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 07:28 »
I use sunflower seeds, caraway seeds, flaxseed and millet as well.  You just throw them into the mix and let the breadmaker do its thing.  Go easy on the caraway seeds though since they have a very strong taste and many people don't like them.  But seeds are full of omegas (you knew that already though!) so they are really good for you.  

I do add sunflower seeds and linseeds, that was until I realised that linseeds pass through whole. So now I add LSA mix (ground linseed, almond and sunflower seeds). My mother adds Flaxseed oil to her breakfast, supposed to be very good for you, but I'm not sure about adding an oil to muesli.  :dunno:
I haven't tried caraway seeds.

Millet is one of the finest foods available.  It will grow where other grains won't, it has a protein level akin to that of wheat, and it's full of vitamin B, including the controversial vitamin B17.

I hadn't heard about B17, until talking to my cousins son, who was researching it when his mum was having chemo. There was something about that it may conflict with chemo. Apricot seeds seem to be the best source of B17, but quite bitter.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 08:27 »
That reminds me.  I must make some bread today!   :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 09:23 »
Me too.  Yesterday was a day for baking and freezing pizza bases :) .

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum