Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ADSL ethernet cable connection  (Read 2204 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
ADSL ethernet cable connection
« on: March 08, 2009, 14:19 »
Howdy guys

Any cable experts ? I'm having a bit of bother with my O2 broadband as the router keeps resyncing. I suspect it could have taken a disliking to the long run of bell wire that feeds it, so i've decided to move the router much closer to the master socket and use ethernet cable to bridge the gap.  I've noticed however that the (very short) dsl cable that was provided with the router doesn't terminate at both ends with a standard size ethernet connector, they look the same but are quite a bit smaller than i'm used to seeing and don't seem to contain as many wires. Is this normal and do they have a name? I have to try and source a longish one from maplins and I can't tell from the website what size the connectors are.

Thankee  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: ADSL ethernet cable connection
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 14:32 »
Dave can you clarify if you are on cable or ADSL as I thought O2 only did ADSL, in which case you will have an ADSL modem/router   :dunno:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 14:36 »
Hi Sandra  :) I actually have both, Virgin Media cable BB and O2 ADSL.  i'm confusing two different things here  :blush:.  Anyhow I'll refine my question, what is the cable, that runs from the microfilter to the router ?, its connections look like ethernet only smaller. I need a spare one as O2 Customer services want me to try the router near the master socket and the current cable is entombed under the fitted carpet. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 15:03 by daveeb »

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 14:48 »
Ok Dave, if you are talking about the O2 ADSL connection from a BT phone line with a standard phone socket then you should have a filter, sometimes called a splitter, plugged into the phone socket that has 2 different type of sockets.
One is the standard BT phone plug, roughly the same size or slightly wider than an ethernet one and a second one that is about half the size that connects to the ADSL modem/router.

These are the various types of plugs that can be used :

http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalog/Unshielded_Plug_Range.html

This page has the type of lead that I think you need in various lengths up to 20 metres :

http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalog/Telecoms_ADSL_-_Broadband_Modem_Lead_24_AWG_Cable_10-1062.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 14:52 by Sandra »

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 15:06 »
Ta for clearing the confusion Sandra. It looks like the cable from filter/splitter to Modem/router terminates in RJ22, unless you know different.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 15:10 »
Thats what I expected Dave, so I posted the second link as an edit, to the page on that site that does various lengths of that cable up to 20metres.

Hope thats sorted it for you  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 15:22 »
 :thumbs:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 17:09 »
Ta for clearing the confusion Sandra. It looks like the cable from filter/splitter to Modem/router terminates in RJ22, unless you know different.

It should be RJ11 if it's standard, Dave.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 18:17 »
Yes you're right Rik, it is RJ11  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum