Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook 2007 Rules not working help  (Read 19323 times)

Offline Kaz

• Im getting There Slowly But Surely
Microsoft Outlook 2007 Rules not working help
« on: March 19, 2009, 14:52 »
Hi All,
I have been having this problem for a while now with rules not working in Microsoft Outlook 2007
There is a "fix" by Microsoft, which tells me to delete and recreate the rule, which I have done
multiple times with no positive results. I use a rule to move an Email from a specific person, so it always goes into that specific folder .
I've uninstalled and re-installed Outlook and just cant get the rules to work can anyone give me some help on this please

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Microsoft Outlook 2007 Rules not working help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 15:01 »
How are you creating the rule, Kaz? I use Outlook 2003, but I think the process is similar. I don't use the wizard, but start from scratch and create the rule manually, I find it's less likely to miss things that way.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 15:42 »
I use the wizard, right click email , create rule when I get an email from??? select folder say ok run this rule now on messages in the current folder and it should put that email and any others into the selected folder but it's not and it's not sending any other emails that follow into the selected folder they just sit in my Inbox as though I haven't created a rule for this, but I have .  The other way of doing it which I have tried also is right click email create rule but go into Advanced settings and do it that way which also hasn't worked  :dunno:

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 16:42 »
Have you looked at the rule to see what it claims to be doing.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 17:12 »
Have you looked at the rule to see what it claims to be doing.
I have taken a rule at random and it says Apply this rule after the message arrives move from support petrol prices into Car folder Move it to a specific folder (car)  Specify a name for this rule Turn on this rule (which is ticked)  then finish all the rules seem to be correct for thier pertucular rule yet I have to set the rules time after time I have about 3 rules all the same for this rule

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 18:36 »
I've seen that happen, often when filtering on the 'from' category. Take a close look at the email headers and see if there are differences in the sending address.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 19:31 »
I've seen that happen, often when filtering on the 'from' category. Take a close look at the email headers and see if there are differences in the sending address.

Ok I'v had a look and all the FROM's are all the same (SENDERS) the subject are different (obviously) so as far as I can see all the emails are the same with the same rules appling to them?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 20:47 »
Sorry, I don't use Outlook, so I can't really help, Kaz, but just a guess, does the email status have any bearing on the filter, i.e., whether it's been read, replied to, etc?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Kaz

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 21:15 »
Sorry, I don't use Outlook, so I can't really help, Kaz, but just a guess, does the email status have any bearing on the filter, i.e., whether it's been read, replied to, etc?

Hi Simon,
no it doesn't You just set a rule when you receive mail so that all emails say from you would go into a folder name SIMON so I would know what you have sent me it's the same now I have set a rule for PC Pals so who ever replies to my Topic from PC PALs it will go into that folder Name PC PALS irrespective who it is from Because the title of the email is always the same PC PALS FORUM so now that I have received a reply from you it has come in into my INBOX and that shouldn't happen because the rule that's been set is to go into PC PALS folder hope I've explained this OK for you ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 21:44 »
You have, Kaz, but I can't explain why it's not working, sorry.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Kaz

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:51 »
I have got hold of some Microsoft Books on how To's I'm going to see if there is anything in these that could help

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:12 »
Keep us posted, Kaz.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 14:29 »
Took a day sickie..and was bored and came across this..just a long shot?

In the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), click Mail.

On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.

If you have more than one e-mail account, in the Apply changes to this folder list, select the Inbox that you want.
In the list of rules, select or clear the check box next to the rule (rule: One or more automatic actions taken on e-mail messages and meeting requests that meet certain conditions, along with any exceptions to those conditions. Rules are also referred to as filters.).

Also  ;D

Rules (rule: One or more automatic actions taken on e-mail messages and meeting requests that meet certain conditions, along with any exceptions to those conditions. Rules are also referred to as filters.) help you manage your e-mail messages by performing actions on messages that match a specific set of conditions. After you create a rule, Microsoft Outlook applies the rule when a message arrives in your Inbox or when you send a message. For example, you can automatically:

Forward to your manager all messages sent by PC Pals when they arrive in your Inbox.
Assign the category Sales to all messages you send that have the word "sales" in the Subject box.
Flag each meeting request or meeting update you receive from your manager.
Rules fall into two general categories: notification and organization. Notification rules alert you in some way when you receive a particular message. For example, you can create a rule that automatically sends an e-mail message to your mobile telephone when you receive a message from a family member. Organization rules perform one or more actions on a message. For example, you can create a rule that moves certain messages to a folder or flags them for follow-up on a particular day.

You can also run one or more of your rules manually. Running rules manually allows you to selectively apply them to messages already in your Inbox or in another folder.

Disclaimer  :laugh: if this doesnt work ..sorry I have wasted your time and others about reading this piece of squit  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 14:35 by TR »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 18:58 »
But if it works, we'll herald you a hero, Terry!  ;D

Offline Kaz

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 13:50 »
Took a day sickie..and was bored and came across this..just a long shot?

In the Navigation Pane (Navigation Pane: The column on the left side of the Outlook window that includes panes such as Shortcuts or Mail and the shortcuts or folders within each pane. Click a folder to show the items in the folder.), click Mail.

On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.

If you have more than one e-mail account, in the Apply changes to this folder list, select the Inbox that you want.
In the list of rules, select or clear the check box next to the rule (rule: One or more automatic actions taken on e-mail messages and meeting requests that meet certain conditions, along with any exceptions to those conditions. Rules are also referred to as filters.).

Also  ;D

Disclaimer  :laugh: if this doesn't work ..sorry I have wasted your time and others about reading this piece of squit  :D

Hi TR
I have done all this BUT as I am looking again I have found a RUN RULES NOW which I have done but NOT in this manner I have to tick a box look at the rules and say ok if they are correct and then run rules NOW I have done this in a similar way not like this before as Si says if this works Ill herald you as a hero and also Ill Buy you a  :drink:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum