Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Wont Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!  (Read 11843 times)

Offline Kaz

• Im getting There Slowly But Surely
One word of caution, Kaz, DVDs are not the most reliable form of long term storage, particularly RW types.

Looks like External Hard Drives arn't reliable either Rik  :)x what can I do  :dunno:

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Looks like External Hard Drives arn't reliable either Rik  :)x what can I do  :dunno:

multiple backups everywhere.

I just had my 3rd hard disk fail in two years at work - but then again I do thrash them.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Hi
OK Iv ran Chkdisk on the hard drive took 17 hours said it had mended some clusters couldn't read it, it was t0 fast, anyway now I have looked at the drive there is nothing showing on the drive, but when I look at properties it says Used space 136,772.904 bytes FREE space 69,376,835,582 bytes Capacity 206,009,775,488 bytes but it's a 500GB hard Drive ? what do I do?

Some space is used by the filing system. However, if you've recovered all you want to, then re-format and don't slect the quick format option.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte

What Sam said, Kaz, multiples are your best bet.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

Do you think that when I've reformatted the drive and all looks good, that I can trust this hard drive or will it have any defects with the cause of the corruption?

When you stop having dreams and ideals -- well, you might as well stop altogether.

Offline sam

• Administrator
depends what the check disk says - if it has bad blocks then I'd not trust it. Is it still under manufacturer's guarantee?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Kaz

I have done a Check disk and all is ok I have formatted the drive (long format) I have back all 500gb back  79.8 used it's now showing up on my list have renamed it and put some files on it as well all seems o be ok so I'm going to put a backup on it ans see what happens I wont put anything that is important to me for a while and Ill see how it goes

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Well done, Kaz!  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Kaz

I have now ran a diagnostic on the hard drive with SeaTools from http://www.seagate.com you can use this on ANY external hard drive it doesnt have to be seagate or max take a look it would be use full to anyone else that has this problem the only thing it can't do it is fix your hard drive if it's not a seagate or maxtor hard drive.

You can do quick diag or an in-depth one I did all and left it running all night, everything came up OK  :thumbs:
I have now split the drive into 2 partitions so if It goes again (touch wood not) I wont loose all stuff I still have a 2 year guarantee left on this drive so 'Im not going to put anything on that's important for a while, but anything could happen at any time, by the way I have backed up all my pictures to DVD

:ithank:to you all who helped very much appreciated as always

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Glad you've got there, Kaz, it sounds to me like the file system got corrupted, are you using FAT or NTFS?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

Glad you've got there, Kaz, it sounds to me like the file system got corrupted, are you using FAT or NTFS?

NTFS Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Rik, wasn't there a thing on Netters about certain Seagate drives?  I'm wondering if Kaz has one of the dodgy ones?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
There was, and it's possible. Kaz, can you get the model and serial number of the drive using the Seagate software? NTFS is usually a robust filing system, so it may be one of the faulty drives you have there.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Kaz

Mine isn't a seagate drive it's a Medion I have 3 of them and never had any trouble with the others?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
That's just who makes the case it's in the HD will be from one of the big names, Kaz.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum