Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Alternative to Broadband ??  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Alternative to Broadband ??
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2003, 12:13 »
Check this  link out DJ1UIK.  Things may have improved for you.

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?194343

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2003, 13:36 »
Thanks Clive,

Sadly not - my exchange still has a trigger of 400 - though we're on 290/400 now !!

I've started a campaign and BT are due to print flyers this week and distribute them over the next two weeks to over 1600 households on the exchange.

If that doesn't get people signing up I don't know what will!! ;D

DJ1UK

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2003, 15:58 »
Watch your fingers when pushing leaflets through letterboxes.  I have helped deliver leaflets on several occasions and apart from the fact that most letterboxes are very unfriendly, beware of dogs lurking the other side waiting to bite your fingers off.   ;D  Pity the poor postman.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2003, 19:48 »
Cheers Clive,

well spotted, hey what do you know our exchange has been given a target after all. Mind you it is 350 with a registered interest of 98, no prizes for guessing who the first to register was.  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2003, 19:50 »
Its OK - BT are doing the distribution as well.  Ain't they kind!!  ;)

So it won't be my fingers that get trapped in the letter box.  ;D

DJ1UK

Adept

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2003, 21:02 »
Just checked mine. It's been reduced from 400 to 300!  :rock:

The registrations seem to have stuck on 104 though :( Perhaps I'll have to take a leaf out of DJ1UK's book ...

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2003, 21:12 »
You'll be sorted in 6 month's time then, Sean!  I can still vividly remember the thrill of anticipation, like it was only yesterday or something or other.   :gofor:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2003, 21:14 »
( Perhaps I'll have to take a leaf out of DJ1UK's book ...

Adept its very very easy to start a campaign.  I just bought a domain name and linked to some free webspace.  Added a free BT Barometer style thingy (to show number of registrations) and got BT to design, print and distribute flyers (covering all costs themeselves!). So far it's cost me the grand total of £4.68 (for the domain for 2 years) ;D .

A friend supplied the number and streets of all user on the exchange, I have forwarded this to BT and they are sorting delivery.

Just waiting to see if it has any impact.

Need any help - feel free to PM or email me (email@westbrokbroadband.co.uk)

DJ1UK

Adept

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2003, 21:19 »

Need any help - feel free to PM or email me (email@westbrokbroadband.co.uk)

When I get a couple of hours spare, I'll take you up on that DJ. :thanks:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2003, 21:56 »
I live in a village and don't think we will ever get broadband. I still can't receive channel 5 and never will until we go digital. :'(
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2003, 22:32 »
Ahhhhhh poor Lona  :(

Now then I to may take you up on that kind offer DJ1UK. But surely BT will know which Tel numbers and their where abouts that are connected on that exchange? Go on prove me wrong yet again  :(

Off to watch one of my favorite comics now, good old Jasper Carrot  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2003, 10:26 »
But surely BT will know which Tel numbers and their where abouts that are connected on that exchange? Go on prove me wrong yet again  :(

Not too sure Tony.  They should know, but I don't know if they share their information easily between teams.  Thought I'd give them as much info as possible though - that way they haven't got any excuse for delay in delivery.
  ;)
DJ1UK

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2003, 17:34 »
Just out of curiosity, to register interest, do you have to make some sort of commitment to have ADSL, if the service was provided?  Otherwise, what's stopping 400 people registering, BT laying on the facility, then only 40 people actually sign up?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2003, 18:29 »
ADSLGuide explains the rules here :)

Adept

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2003, 22:40 »
Again from ADSLGuide, some potentially interesting news ;) :D

ADSL potentially available on a further 3500 BT exchanges!

Author: MrSaffron

BT Wholesale has announced a scheme called 'Exchange Activate', that is intended to provide ADSL access at exchanges that perhaps otherwise would not see the standard ADSL deployment for a few years. The new scheme revolves around a Service Provider buying a block of 30 connections for a 3 year period. The intention is that sponsors such as a Regional Development Agency, or local councils meet some of the costs.

The scheme is very much at the consultation stage, with Service Providers been able to provide feedback to BT Wholesale, as to whether they think the pricing and level of interest would make the scheme worthwhile. The pricing indicated at this time is ~£55,000 for 30 connections lasting 3 years, or around £46 per user per month. Obviously this price is higher than the usual connection fee, hence the idea that partnerships are formed to reduce the cost to the end-users in the areas where the system is deployed.

The reductions in costs of setting up the scheme compared to the standard rollout, come about by using the newer ranges of DSL exchange kit that are smaller and cheaper. Combine this with using existing network connections to link back into the normal BT ADSL/ATM network and the initial costs are much smaller.

The actual ADSL as far as an end user is concerned is BT IPstream Home 500, and after the 3 years is up, the cost reverts to whatever the standard monthly Home 500 fee is (currently £14.75). An exchange can have multiple blocks of 30 users. If an exchange reaches its actual trigger level for a standard ADSL build, then a 'buy out' scheme exists that will reimburse some of the charges to the Service Provider, based on how long the service has been running.

For those that have not realised yet, this new scheme is based on the experiences from the 16 user community DSL concept trial. A final decision on go/no-go and pricing is expected around the end of March 2003, but the next couple of months give time for Service Providers and potential sponsors to provide feedback.

This news is most welcome, and while the pricing does seem a bit high, this may be part of the price of having ADSL in a rural area. Obviously if some funding can be found to subsidise the cost the price can come down.

If we find out more, we will let our readers know. If trying to enquire with a Service Provider about the scheme, remember that they may still be considering their options, which means it is unlikely sales staff will even be aware of the product at this time.

Posted: Monday 03 February 2003, 13:32:06

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum