Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Region 1 DVDs - NTSC?  (Read 12849 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Region 1 DVDs - NTSC?
« on: August 19, 2009, 03:14 »
I'm having a problem with a set of DVDs which are region 1.

Now my understanding is that region 1 DVDs are US/Canada and are NTSC format, correct?

And that most DVD players these days can play them, correct?

But some DVD players are a little weird and need unlocking, will play some but not others.

I read this thread and got the impression that it's not a case of region free DVD players will play all region DVDs regardless, and region locked DVD players will only play DVDs from their region.

I'm being told that a supposedly region free DVD player won't play a region 1 DVD because it's NTSC and it needs a special NTSC DVD player to play it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Region 1 DVDs - NTSC?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:36 »
If you can make your DVD player region free it should play anything MB.
Post DVD players will play both NTSC and PAL its the region code that restructs them.
Which make and model is your player as some are simply a sequence of buttons to press on your units remote, some need a modification inside and some cant be unlocked from the region they come as.
Usually the cheaper lesser known brands are the easiest to make region free whereas the more expensive panasonics, sony and pioneer are harder or impossible to do.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:25 »
Thanks Sandra.

It's not my DVD player, I sold new region 1 DVDs to some idiot who won't believe me that region 1 is in fact NTSC and it's his DVD player that won't play them and he needs to unlock it. He is saying that he has bought region 1 DVDs before and not had a problem, the problem is with these DVDs as they are NTSC. I've trying explaining till I'm blue in the face and even sent him a link to a forum discussing unlocking DVD players. I've sold the same DVDs to others and there isn't a problem, which I knew there wouldn't be.
His DVD player is a panasonic and I can't find any information for the Australian version only the US version and here is a quote from the US manual. SC-DM3, his is a SA-DM3

Region Management Information
(DVD-Video only)
This unit responds to the Region Management Information recorded
on DVD-Video. This unit’s region number is “1”. You cannot play the
disc if the region number on the DVD-Video does not correspond to
the region number on the unit.
You can play discs with labels containing the region number “1” and
“ALL”. Read the disc’s instructions carefully.

So assuming they did the same for the Australian version, he can't play real region 1 NTSC DVDs?

I know I should just give the twit a refund, which I was happy to do at first, but he is being so rude about it, plus I want to prove that NTSC is in fact region 1.

He has put in a dispute, claiming item not as described, saying that region 1 isn't NTSC.   :dunno:

He also wants a refund before he posts it back to me.  :o

I send a brand new sealed region 1 DVD, and get back an opened used DVD, hopefully not damaged.

Is region 1 NTSC or have I completely lost the plot.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47 »
Region 1 is usually NTSC, but it's not a hard and fast rule.  If the DVD you sold was genuine (not a copy), it may well have something called Region Code Enhancement (RCE), which can prevent it from being played on some region hacked machines, if they are simply set to Region 0 (ALL), as RCE discs require a region to be specified.  Of course, his TV also needs to be able to play NTSC, which some very old ones won't.

If you have specified that the DVD is Region 1 NTSC in the sale listing, then he's got no comeback, as he's bought the item as listed, and it's not your fault if he hasn't got a compatible machine to play it on.  Whenever I sell a DVD on eBay, I always state "Not returnable due to region code / player incompatibilities", but I've never had a dispute.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:25 »
Thanks Simon.

I didn't specifically put NTSC as I thought that putting region 1 would be enough.

I have also sold another one, exactly the same to another guy, and he didn't have a problem with it. Which is why I think it must be his machine.

Actually all DVDs that I have sold have had region 1 NTSC on them and this is the first compatibility issue I've encountered.
Quite a few I've personally watched and sold as used, haven't had a problem.

I wonder how old his system is?

Hopefully older than his mentality. (couldn't resist)  :devil:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:53 »
MB, Don't give him a refund until he returns the DVD and make him post it registered mail, I don't bother with all that DVD region crap.
All my movies are converted to Xvid , I just watch them from my flash drive plugged into the USB port on my DVD player.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 13:13 »
I would like it returned in the new post pak box I sent it in, gmax. Registered post would be asking too much, he would then ask for postage to be refunded as well, which he did originally ask for.

What a f@#*ing liberty!

I just I would get rid of some stuff that I will never use or watch and read again and make a few dollars along the way. So of course I ended up ordering a whole lot of games and DVDs, computer parts and other odds and ends. Now after dealing with lots of wonderful people, I discover that there are some real obnoxious, unreasonable people with out so much as a please or thank you in their tiny little minds.

It reminds me as to why I always chose jobs that I could happily do without any contact with another human being, or at least, the minimum contact possible.

I haven't been unreasonable, return item, let me check it, mutual agreement to ebay to cancel the transaction so I can get my listing fees returned, and a full refund.

End of rant.  :blush:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 13:28 »
I'm still waiting for a chainsaw I paid for 2 weeks ago, I've opened a ebay dispute, the seller won't even reply to messages.
I will make a paypal claim if the seller doesn't respond soon.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 13:31 »
You really like your chainsaws, don't you. 

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 14:42 »
It's more interesting than collecting stamps  :)x

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 15:01 »
Any trees left in your neighbourhood?

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 15:08 »
I took 3 down last week for my neighbor

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 15:17 »
Don't you need council approval before cutting down any tree?

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 15:35 »
These were fairly small pine trees, larger trees you need council approval

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 15:42 »
One thing I hate up here, is bloody pine trees.  >:(