Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Watch Movies and TV on your pc  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Watch Movies and TV on your pc
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:23 »
Scrumpy Jack came across this last night and told me about it so I thought I would post it here  :)

http://tvshack.net/

I just watched the opening of District 9 and the quality is ok if you watch in the size it opens in but gets very grainy if you go to full screen.
Lots of old TV shows on as well as new ones too.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Watch Movies and TV on your pc
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 04:02 »
hmmm, I used to use this website a while a go but find it ropey and of course its all a little dodgy.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:18 »
Dodgy is good, as long as its free Sam  ;D

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:18 »
I have the R5 version of District 9 the quality is as good as a DVD Rip   :thumbs:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 14:41 »
it was very good in the cinema
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 00:59 »
The trouble with seeing stuff in the cinemas these days though Sam is that its always too loud, you never know how many kids will be running around making a lot of noise or people talking or making noise with their packets of sweets, crisps or other foodstuffs.
Its too expensive and for those of us who still enjoy a ciggie, you cant smoke  :(

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 02:06 »
hmmm, I dunno I've only had hassle once or twice off "kids" and these were proper idiots and got kicked out (and we got free tickets too!). Compared to the tv's I've heard living in flats the cinema seems quite quiet, but I can appreciate that comment... saying that though the reason I go the cinema is since films like District 9 need the full experience todo them justice (the large screen, the full sound system).  Now I'm not against people watching things online etc but I feel that films deserve a proper screening. Out of interest... when was the last time you (actually anyone else here too...) went to the cinema. For me it was last week to watch 9 (Canadian cinemas are a bit weird though... well not weird but different). I see at least 20 movies a year in the cinema.

- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 03:42 »
It must be around 14 years ago Sam. I went to see Waterworld, very disappointing after all the hype surrounding it.
I had to stuff tissues in my ears to try and cut down the sound a little. I was talking to a neighbour a week or so later and she had been to see it too and said it was too loud and she was in her 70s so I wouldnt have thought that she had the best hearing in the world.

I much prefer watching films on my own TV with my DTS sound system so that I can have it at the level I like. Unfortunately these days, if its an action film, they seem to have the sound mixing all cocked up. If you have the volume set for the effects to the right level the dialogue is too quiet, if you set the dialogue at the right level then the effects are deafening  >:(

I wonder if younger people are going deaf or losing some of their hearing early because of them having mp3 players set too loud and the cinemas are cranking up the volume so that they can hear it, to the discomfort of people who dont have any hearing problems  :dunno:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31 »
I prefer to watch movies at home, listening to other people's worthless comments is just to frustrating  :ack:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:55 »
It's years since I've been to the cinema too - I think the last time was the first Harry Potter!  I have a nice TV and a good surround sound system (although it needs updating - mine is 5.1, and I read the other day that they are now going up to 22.2!), so I don't feel as though I need to go and mix with other peopl:ack:  at the cinema.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 15:58 »
oh social interaction....

I think the cinemas are probably as loud as they ever were, its just as you get older well you get older...

Still though I'd suggest going again, not to some crappy odeon but to a large big screen place they are great. Actually the best cinematic experiences I've had are at Imax cinemas, now they are def. worth a try.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 00:51 »
I agree with you about the Imax Sam, I forgot about that as I didnt class that as an ordinary cinema.
When I was in Glasgow last year I went to see the 3D Imax, it was showing an undersea documentary.
That was fantastic and I dont think anyone was eating anything, moving around or speaking too loudly, as they were all glued to what was on or coming out of the screen  :)

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 11:20 »
There was a Imax here for a few years but it closed down, It was just too expensive.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 16:40 »
How much does it cost to go to an Imax?  There are no prices listed on the website of my local one.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 18:14 »
I agree with you about the Imax Sam, I forgot about that as I didnt class that as an ordinary cinema.
When I was in Glasgow last year I went to see the 3D Imax, it was showing an undersea documentary.
That was fantastic and I dont think anyone was eating anything, moving around or speaking too loudly, as they were all glued to what was on or coming out of the screen  :)

I saw the latest Batman film at one, was truly spectacular (though no 3D)
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum