Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Adding Netgear Wireless router to a Blueyonder Cable Modem  (Read 7837 times)

Offline AndyK

Hello there,

I am trying to add Wireless to a Telewest/Blueyonder/Virgin Media cable modem. I have bought a Netgear Wireless router but am having big problems trying to get it to work.

My problem is that the current connection between the cabe modem and the PC is USB. The wireless router needs to have an RJ45 connection and whatever I try it doesn't seem to work.

Problem is slightly more complicated as I want to phase out the existing tower PC and replace it with a new wireless enabled laptop.

Can anyone advise me of the order of events that I need to perform?

I have tried changing the current USB connection to RJ45 but it doesn't work.
I have tried installing the cable modem on the new laptop but there are no Vista drivers
I have followed the instructions in the box but they don't quite apply to my situation because of the USB connection.

After 2.5 hours of trying I am somewhat frustrated and any help would be appreciated.  :dunno:

thanks in anticipation.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Adding Netgear Wireless router to a Blueyonder Cable Modem
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 17:19 »
Hi Andy, and  :welc:

What model of Netgear router did you buy?  I'm just wondering if it's the wrong type, as some are for 'BT line' connections, and some are for cable.  I'm not sure that you can mix the two.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 17:55 »
Hi Andy

Like Simon, I wonder whether you've bought an ADSL router, not a cable one.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline AndyK

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 18:09 »
Hi guys.

I think I chose right as I bought a 'Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable Router'. Hope so.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 18:21 »
OK, so why are you trying to connect the modem to the PC? It needs to connect to the router, and that should be via an RJ45 ethernet cable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 18:23 by Rik »
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 18:24 »
Reading your OP again, does the cable modem have an RJ45 connection?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline AndyK

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 19:13 »
Rik, it might be my terminology:

Currently the Blueyonder modem is connected to the cable connection on one side and to the existing tower PC via the USB cable but there is also an RJ45 connection on the modem.
I was proposing to introduce the wireless router between the modem and the PC but using the RJ45 connection in each direction.
Once I have it transmitting wireless then I can phase out the old PC just leaving both modem and router to service the laptop.

Have I got it right? If so, in what order do I have to remake the connections to switch between USB and RJ45?
If not  help!

thanks

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 20:08 »
Rik won't be in until the morning now, Andy, and I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with your type of set up, but is the new router not also a modem?  I'm wondering if you could connect it straight to the cable connection, then to the PC, without the need for the USB modem?

If not, then I would assume you have to connect the modem to the router, then the router to the PC, both via RJ45 connections.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 01:15 »
Ok Andy, you want to disconnect the usb cable thats currently connecting your modem to the pc.
Connect the ethernet lead from the modem to the new router and from the router to the pc.
What you are proposing to eventually do is correct but its usually easier to set the router up using the ethernet connection first then when thats established you can set up the wi fi and disconnect the ethernet if you wish.
When you connect the router to the modem via ethernet and pc to routher via ethernet you should be able to connect to the internet immediately as the cable modems have the username/password info stored in them, unlike ADSL modems.
You should now be able to enter the routers IP address in the adress bar of your internet browser.

Netgear tend to use the IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for their routers but the information should have come with the router. Type the IP address in and press enter. This should bring up the log in box which will prompt you for the username and password, enter admin as the user name and password for the password, both in lower case letters.
This should give you access to the wifi part and allow you to set the information up in your laptop. The wifi is usually set as not encrypted by default so for security you need to enable it.

If you dont understand something, or if for some reason it doesnt work, ask again. I wont be here until late in the afternoon but I am sure Rik will be on in the morning to answer anything you may need  :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 11:35 »
I think you've covered everything, Sandra.  :thumbs:

To eliminate an issue with the computer's RJ45 ethernet port, I'd be tempted to make a direct connection from the modem that way first, but going straight to router should be fine.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline AndyK

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 13:05 »
OK thanks for everything so far. I'm not sure I understand Rik's last comment but I will try it out this evening. Fingers crossed.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 14:28 »
Rik is suggesting that you disconnect the USB cable from the modem to the pc and connect the ethernet lead from the modem directly to the pc first, to make sure that your ethernet port on the pc is enabled and working prior to putting the router into the system.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 16:23 »
I am indeed.  ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline AndyK

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 19:51 »
OK. We didn't get past the first step!   :cry:

I have replaced the USB cable from the modem to the PC, rebooted everything just in case, and there is no activity on the modem. Power, receive and send lights are on, but no activity light. Checking the network connection I see that it says "PC NIC - A network cable is unplugged" even though I have just plugged it in. I know the cable is good because it is from another connection that I was using before I installed it here. Just to check I have gone back to the USB connection and it is still working. I have checked the drivers on Control Panel, System, Hardware and it says that the NIC is working OK. Any advice on where I go from here please?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 21:50 »
Have you run the Network Connection Wizard, Andy?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum