Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Tried and Tested  (Read 32271 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: Tried and Tested
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2010, 15:52 »
Are you referring to the convection oven, Sandra?  Although I've never tried one, I'm tempted because they're supposed to cook food about 20% faster than a conventional oven.  However, I already have three ovens (four if you include the microwave) so my attention is on the food steamer.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2010, 01:17 »
Its the convection oven Gill that I am interested in, steaming would be way too healthy for me and I dont really fancy steamed fillet steak and chips :woot:

I read this review last year on them :

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/food/article-1224816/Halogen-ovens-They-roast-chicken-30-minutes-clean-cost-just-40.html

The reviewer gives the JML only 5/10 but thats possibly because she needed to adjust the time or heat settings to cook properly with it. If you compare the pictures on that site and the Aldi one then they look identical.
If I can get out early enough tomorrow and they havent sold out I will go and have a look at them and see if they look OK.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2010, 12:59 »
My breadmaker arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to get it out of the box, or even make room in the kitchen for it, yet.  I have also been tempted by a vegetable steamer, as I do like my veg crunchy.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2010, 13:05 »
What sort of breadmaker is it, Simon?

I've decided against buying a steamer because cheap models seem to get bad reviews on comparison websites.  Added to which, I've already got a three-tiered steaming pan which works admirably.

I see there have been lots of complaints about the Tefal Actifry being made of flimsy material and having a tendency to blow up!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2010, 13:29 »
What sort of breadmaker is it, Simon?

This one, Gill.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000QV07C4/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I've decided against buying a steamer because cheap models seem to get bad reviews on comparison websites.  Added to which, I've already got a three-tiered steaming pan which works admirably.

Yes, I've looked at those too.  I must decide on something.

I see there have been lots of complaints about the Tefal Actifry being made of flimsy material and having a tendency to blow up!

I'm now on my third, and treating it very gently!  I don't think they stand up to the heat very well, and I wish there was an alternative similar product, but there doesn't seem to be, and they do make damn good chips!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2010, 14:45 »
Those halogen ovens should do oven chips ok Simon.
I got up later than intended today so didnt get chance to go to Aldi but rang a friend who was also thinking of getting one to get me one too.
For some reason they havent arrived in our local store today so we havent got ours to try out yet.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 16:40 »
Oh well done Simon!  I can see you are a real gourmet!  Top tip is you must use Strong breadmaking flour such as Carrs.  Make a loaf of white first 'cos it's easier.  You will love it! 

Another top tip.  Leave electric steamers where they are.  They are absolutely impossible to clean and you will stop using it after a couple of weeks.  Get a 3 tier hob steamer as Gill suggests.  They do the job and can be properly cleaned.  I've used one for 20 years and it still looks brand new. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2010, 16:42 »
There's nothing like a freshly-baked home-made loaf is there, Clive. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2010, 17:11 »
Excellent choice of breadmaker, Simon :) .  I bought the Panasonic SD255 last February which is the same as yours except for mine having an automatic nut/seed dispenser.  It makes lovely bread!  It also seems to have been reduced in price quite dramatically - you've got a bargain.

Don't forget to look beyond supermarkets for the best bread flours.  I suggest you support a local mill - you'll be able to taste the difference.

http://www.windmillworld.com/
http://www.nationalmillsweekend.co.uk/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2010, 17:22 »
Thanks Gill.  I will have to RTFM, and will probably start with basic ingredients, before becoming more adventurous.  :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2010, 17:23 »
Then we'll get you into Wessex Mill flour...  :devil:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2010, 17:24 »
 ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2010, 18:29 »
I use flour from a very small local mill at St Fagans museum, Cardiff.  It's very yummy! 

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 18:30 »
But do they do tomato & garlic? :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator