Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Aldi Medion  (Read 19806 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Aldi Medion
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 10:28 »
I've certainly had no hardware issues with FSIS 2010, Rod.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07 »
Going purely on first impressions of F-S IS 2010, I'm well impressed!  Thanks for the heads-up, Simon!   :)

Now to re-install a trillion vegamites of Creative bloatware...   :(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2010, 20:02 »
I also use the same AV Rod and I'm very pleased with it.  Much faster than the 2009 version and far less intrusive.  I found it far cheaper to buy the CD from Amazon than renew online. 

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 02:58 »
Thanks, Clive.  I'll bear that in mind when April 2010 rolls around.  And thank you Sandra, for inspiring me to pursue a scheme which was clearly bonkers in the first place.

Meanwhile...  I'm astonished and delighted to say that the transplant was a success!  Mind you, for a short while it looked like I might have to send this from my laptop.

As it turned out, Plan B was the one that worked.  If you've been paying attention, you'll know that my original intention was to simply swap the drives and cards from the old machine into the new one.  However, once I set to work, I realised that the two cases (which were pretty much identical in appearance on the outside and had roughly the same MoBo) were vastly different internally.

This led to all sorts of problems, not the least of which being a lack of angled SATA leads - not easy to get hold of at 8:30pm on Good Friday - using flat leads meant I couldn't close the case.  Then there was the matter of the side panel being vented differently, because of the way they had aligned the different MoBos leaving no space for a FDD.  There was a ton of silly little annoyances like that.  In the end, what I did was strip down both machines and swap the MoBos complete with RAM and CPUs, so I'm now using the original case still, but with new MoBo, CPU, RAM and SATA DVD-RW.  Being able to lay my hands on a five-year-old tube of Arctic Silver paste was a real a bonus too.

After shuffling the MoBos, CPU coolers and funnels, it was just a simple matter of inserting and connecting all the bits again, before marvelling at the blue screen of death a couple of times until 'Repair Windows' on my Windows 7 install disk finally pulled everything together.  Oh yes...  and I had re-activate/re-register Windows again, after receiving a not-so-friendly greeting from Microsoft while typing this.

The new/old box containing the leftover bits still needs sorting out and upgrading with a graphics card that came with the original machine, so I may end up coming back with my tail between my legs - particularly if I can't reactivate the original copy of Vista that I upgraded from.  But my real question is this...

Am I becoming Bat69?

MSI MS-7366 MoBo
Intel Q8300 CPU
4GB DDR2 RAM
2x1TB WD Caviar Black HD
2x1TB WD Green HD in (external) Icy Box
1TB Seagate HD
500MB Maxtor external HD
3.5TB external storage
Gigabyte Nvidia GTS 250 graphics
HP w2207h display
Creative X-Fi Elite sound
Yamaha MS202 Monitor speakers
Epson V300 scanner
HP 970cxi printer
APC SmartUps 700 UPS
Partridge/Pear tree

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 08:25 »
 ;D The overclocking whizkid! 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55 »
Good work, Rod!  I'm afraid I've got to the 'can't be arsed' stage when it comes to self building.  I just want to turn it on and it works, and at the moment, haven't even got the enthusiasm to take the side off mine and give it a hoover.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 12:08 »
It's so hard to get the entire head into most cases, isn't it. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 12:10 »
It's the arms and legs I have trouble with. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 12:19 »
:rofl:

I just dive off the desk - gravity does the rest.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21 »
 ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 18:20 »
But my real question is this...

Am I becoming Bat69?

Only if you upgrade to the latest bios as soon as one comes out Rod  ;D

Although now that its usually done from inside windows it seem less problematical than it once was  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum