Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Is Console Gaming Dying?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Is Console Gaming Dying?
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:58 »
PC gamers love to obsess over whether PC gaming is dying, but bit-tech thinks it's time to look at the other side and examine if console gaming is really as secure as publishers would have us believe. All three console manufacturers suffered from the recession — this year, Sony announced its first net loss in 14 years; a stunning ¥989.9bn, which includes record losses of ¥58.5bn in its gaming sector. Microsoft also announced its first loss since it went public in 1986 in the second quarter of this financial year, with a $31 million US loss coming straight from the Entertainment and Devices division, which is responsible for the Xbox 360. Not even Nintendo has escaped the financial plague either, with sales of the Wii dropping by 67 percent in the US, 60 percent in Japan and 47 percent in the rest of the world. In addition to reduced profitability, casual games and the rise of the iPhone further suggest the current model is not invulnerable.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/12/14/2010234/Is-Console-Gaming-Dying?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+(Slashdot)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Dave P

Re: Is Console Gaming Dying?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 15:07 »

*gets the stake out to finish off the console*

I hope console gaming is dying, but I doubt it will.

Games developed to be cross platform almost always end up with bad AIs and average gameplay.

Top end PCs just aren't even comparable to PS3, Xbox and lol Wii, nor should they be, but develping a game for all platforms makes a lot more sense from a marketing perspective. I just hope Crysis 2 manages to survive the console.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 15:16 »
:welcome:  Dave!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 00:09 »
yeah I agree about the cross platform gaming.

I've still not gotten used to Sonic on Nintendo systems.  :ack:

I will always find it hard to get away from proper strategy games on my PC - Civ just doesn't work on a console.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum