Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Cheese on Toast  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Cheese on Toast
« on: December 18, 2009, 23:30 »
How do the esteemed chefs of the forum make cheese on toast?  I am after the answers to three questions:

1. How do you not burn the edges of the toast, when grilling the cheese on it?

2. What is the best type of cheese to use, that will 'brown' nicely on top?  I tend to use fairly strong cheddars, like Davidstow, but it never goes a nice colour when cooked.

3. Is it best to cook quickly under a hot grill, or slower under a medium heat?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Cheese on Toast
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 00:26 »
Its a long time since I used the grill for cheese on toast Simon. It tastes better but for speed and cheapness I usually use my toaster to toast the bread then put the cheese on and nuke it in the microwave for a minute or until it bubbles, or I use my sandwhich toaster to make cheese toasties.

If I was to use the grill then I would only toast it properly on one side and then only slightly do the side that was going to have the cheese on, that should stop it burning the edges. Never really thought about the colour but it looks nicer and adds a little extra if you sprinkle paprika or if you like it hot a little cayenne pepper over the cheese before you put it under the grill. Worcester sauce is another nice addition.
I dont think the time matters so I would do it under a hot grill for speed.
Have you ever tried a blue cheese in place of cheddar ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 00:29 by Sandra »

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:19 »
I lightly toast the bread on both sides under a grill, then butter just the edges of one side before grating cheddar onto it.  If you butter the edges of the bread before you grate cheese onto it, you'll find the edges retain their colour but do not burn.  The stronger the cheese, the less you need to use.  I don't give colour a second thought because taste is what matters to me.  If I was concerned with appearance, I would make a rarebit instead of using pure cheese.

Rarebit is fabulous for grilling.  My favourite meal of all is a mackerel fillet topped with rarebit and chillies, grilled until the rarebit begins to bubble and brown, served with chips and a light salad.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:41 »
Im not keen on cheese but on toast seems ok for me sometimes but I always wait until some one else offers to do it as when I try all the cheese just ends up in the bottom of the toaster and I have to tell you it takes some getting out

:scoot:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:13 »
I'm with Gill, Simon, but try Red Leicester, and add a drizzle of Worcestershire sauce and some thinly sliced red onions before grilling. Better yet, bake a tomato & garlic loaf and make it from that - it's a flavour fest.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:43 »
I like the dark bits round the edge n plenty of pepper  :crazy:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 12:17 »
I don't have toaster because I prefer toasting under the gas grill.  Not quite as nice as a using toasting fork in front of an open fire though!  Yummy yum yums!  I like my toast thickly cut and toast it quite well on both sides.  Lightly 'butter' one side with Olivio or whatever silly name they are calling it these days and cut slices of 'seriously strong cheddar' over it.  I don't burn the edges at all but Mrs Clive always manages to do so.   :bawl:  Worcester sauce is delicious but it gives me severe indigestion! 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 12:20 »
Thanks for the tips!  I hadn't actually thought of 'buttering' the side the cheese goes on.   :blush:

I'm with Gill, Simon, but try Red Leicester, and add a drizzle of Worcestershire sauce and some thinly sliced red onions before grilling. Better yet, bake a tomato & garlic loaf and make it from that - it's a flavour fest.

I'd replace the onions with chopped bacon, but Red Leicester sounds a good idea.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 13:27 »
It's got a really good flavour as a toasty. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 13:47 »
Yes, I do like Red Leicester.  I'll try that.  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum