Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A Month With the Lumix GF1, And Why I No Longer Use The Nikon D700  (Read 2489 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Last month, we took a first look at Panasonic’s Micro Four Thirds (M4/3) GF1, a small camera with interchangeable lenses and a big sensor. That post, detailing the performance and features, got a lot of comments, so I thought it might be a good idea to relay my thoughts after using the camera rather a lot over the last few weeks. Here you’ll find out about its performance, as well as some of the hidden gems that make using it easier.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/a-month-with-the-lumix-gf1-and-why-i-no-longer-use-the-nikon-d700/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Sounds interesting. The Panasonic/Leica collaboration is really producing some first rate cameras...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
It's very reassuring.  I've just bought a used Lumix DMC-FZ28s on eBay so Nita can have my older compact, a Nikon P4.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I bought a Lumix G1 last year, but haven't really got round to using it much yet.  Hopefully will get out on some nice Spring days.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I tested the FZ28, Rod, and was generally impressed with it. There were a couple of drawbacks, but I can't remember what now (one may have been a 'hard' viewfinder surround, which is no good to anyone in specs).
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
Phew!  Luckily I only need glasses for reading - the activity, that is.  Not the town.

I can confirm that the VF is as harder than a priest's privates and shutter lag can be also be a problem in idiot mode.  As it's nearly new and only cost £163 + p&p, I can probably put up with its idiosyncrasies until I win the Lotto next week.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Shutter lag is often a problem in older cameras, Rod. The latest ones are still not as instant as film, but getting better.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
Yes indeed, Rik.  The Contax TVS Digital I owned would often take a couple of seconds before it got around to firing the shutter.  Lovely optics, but that delay (coupled with the fact that Yashica had just stuffed Contax) eventually forced me to cut my losses and flog it on eBay to someone who didn't mind waiting all day.

It was around that point I bought the P4, which, although lacking a viewfinder, was only about half as slow.  However, neither of these came even close to the excruciating delay imposed by the hideous Olympus something-or-other that I bought in 2001.  It's been in a drawer for several years now and probably still waiting to finally go 'click'.   

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I know just how you feel, Rod, it made action photography impossible.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I take quite a lot of quick snaps on my phone, and the shutter lag on that is very frustrating!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum