Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 7 Best Free and Open Source Content Management Systems  (Read 4575 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
A content management system (CMS) is a software used to simplify the management and publication of HTML content such as documents and images. It provides authoring and other tools designed to allow users with little technical knowledge of programming languages or markup languages to create and manage content with relative ease. Most web CMS use a database to store content, metadata, or artifacts that might be needed by the system. Content is commonly stored as XML, to facilitate, reuse, and enable flexible presentation options.

http://www.junauza.com/2010/05/7-best-free-and-open-source-content.html

I use Movable Type for my blog and really quite like it, though I'm using a fairly out-dated and hacked together system... maybe its time for me to have a play with the latest version...  oh I can't be bothered with all that integration again of php scripts.

I also run a website (the FAS - fedastro.org.uk) - that runs Joomla! - its an older version of it and its ok, I wouldn't recommend it but it does the trick.

I've never really liked Drupal - but UofC uses it and it looks pretty hand and allows anyone who has no idea about webpages to create something that follows the corporate image. (http://www.ucalgary.ca/ras/ for example)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: 7 Best Free and Open Source Content Management Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:29 »
I also run a website (the FAS - fedastro.org.uk)

A top-drawer website if ever there was one.   8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:54 »
Do we use any of those for Pals, Sam?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 17:01 »
nope we don't - but in essence SMF is kind of that - we edit the pages in the control panel to display what we want and then type here... but its different in that anyone can post (within reason of course), instead of it just being static for the users.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 17:01 »
oh and I have seen some forum software based on things like joomla.. but SMF is pretty damn good.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 17:10 »
It's certainly better than what we had before.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum