Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows XP services won't start  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Aaron

Windows XP services won't start
« on: May 28, 2010, 16:55 »
Hello everyone.

I don't know what the precipitating factor was but, as the subject eludes to, services in XP won't start on their own even though they are set to 'automatic'.  For example, the DHCP client and Wireless Zero Configuration services don't start with windows and therefore I have no wifi but if I manually start them the wifi works properly. The same for audio and others I'm sure, I can't say I have much knowledge of what each service does. I have uninstalled everything, just in case and system restore fails on each attempt (whichever restore point I choose).  I have taken my original antivirus software off and put AVG (the free one) on and scanned. It did find a couple of things but although I've removed them the problem persists. 

The only option I can think of is over-laying a fresh XP install over this one and see if it replaces the corrupted/damaged files but I would rather not if possible, I have no idea where my floppy disc drive is and I don't want to mess about installing it with all the hooha that causes.

If you have any ideas they are most welcome.

Regards
Aaron

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Windows XP services won't start
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 17:01 »
Can you identify anything you'd done just before things stopped working?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Aaron

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 17:06 »
Well, I installed Norton Systemworks 2009 but it wasn't until maybe 7-10 restarts later that this change occurred. It may have been something to do with it but I have uninstalled it with no effect. A week before that I installed Endnote, although I haven't uninstalled it I would be surprised if it was the culprit.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 17:25 »
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 17:32 »
Hi Aaron,

Sorry to cover the basics, but have you actually gone into the Services panel, and set the ones you want to start to Automatic?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Aaron

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 17:42 »
Thank you Rik, I am running anti-spyware and another anti-virus scan to see if they pick anything up.

Hi Simon.  I haven't played with the automatic/manual/disabled setting because I don't know what I need and what I don't.  The ones I have enabled manually all say automatic so I don't think whatever is causing this has altered their status but is somehow preventing them from starting when they are needed.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 17:55 »
Take a look here, Aaron, for which does what (and what you don't need):

http://www.blackviper.com/
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 18:00 »
OK, so, specifically, what do you need to start up that isn't?  If it's just wi-fi, is this using a dongle, a network card, or is it a laptop with wi-fi built in?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:59 »
If you suspect damaged or missing system files then place your XP CD in the CD or DVD drive and go to Start then Run and type in SFC /SCANNOW and press OK.
Note that there is a space between the C of SFC and the /
This will check your registry and replace any missing or corrupted files without causing any problems with your other programs.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 22:07 »
Many thanks to all of you for replying. After running five different anti-malware and anti-virus programmes I have apparently corrected the problem. System restore seemed to continually be a problem so I have disabled it.

When I have a little more time I will likely wipe the computer and re-install just to tidy things up but everything is working now.

One final thing.  Can you suggest two free programmes that are useful as anti-virus and anti-malware? I am currently using AVG as anti-virus and Super Anti-spyware.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 22:27 »
Hi Aaron,

When you have a virus, or malware, it can sometimes lodge in the System Restore folder, so if at first a virus scan doesn't succeed, it's best to disable System Restore, which automatically deletes the folder, and stops the virus / malware coming back.

Super Anti-Spyware is a good product to have, as is Malwarebytes, which is also available in a free version.  As far as anti-virus goes, we've had quite a few instances of people getting infected when using AVG, so, personally, I wouldn't rate it.  Avast offer a free AV product.  I would have recommended you try Microsoft Security Essentials, as I've heard good reports about it, but I believe it only works on Vista upwards.

Glad you got sorted, anyway.  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum