Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Antivirus Software  (Read 43501 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Re:Antivirus Software
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2004, 22:40 »
Just found a link for a copy of Ez Trust Anti Virus.

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm?

This is being supplied free on behalf of Microsoft Customers
and includes a free subscription for one year. Contains Anti Virus and Firewall. Cant be bad!

:D :D :D :D
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2004, 22:30 »
I would like opinions on this software. I am running norton antivirus and zonealarm firewall but wonder if this could be better. :-\

http://tinyurl.com/2ov7w

* Simon fixed link.   ;)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2004, 08:03 »

This is a good Antivirus. The Firewall is a version of Zone Alarm,  and the combination works well together. I dont think I would buy it, but the free years sub cant be bad. I have tried all the Anti Virus progs on the market, and still keep going back to Norton. I am now running Norton 2004 with Norton Firewall 2003. If you want a paid prog I would stick to Norton. Incidentally, dont upgrade your Zone Alarm to version 5 - stick to version 4. Zone Alarm 5 has bad conflict problems with other Anti Virus progs such as Norton or McAfee. Zone Labs admit this and are working on it.

:thumb: :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2004, 14:37 »

This is a good Antivirus. The Firewall is a version of Zone Alarm,  and the combination works well together. I dont think I would buy it, but the free years sub cant be bad. I have tried all the Anti Virus progs on the market, and still keep going back to Norton. I am now running Norton 2004 with Norton Firewall 2003. If you want a paid prog I would stick to Norton. Incidentally, dont upgrade your Zone Alarm to version 5 - stick to version 4. Zone Alarm 5 has bad conflict problems with other Anti Virus progs such as Norton or McAfee. Zone Labs admit this and are working on it.

:thumb: :thumb:

Zonealarm internet security is an all in one product so surely you wouldn't need any other anti virus or firewall software. ???.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2004, 08:23 »

Zone Alarm Internet Security is an all in one programme as you say, but I am talking about Zone alarm 5 Firewall. The Internet Security suite is Zone alarm 5 incorporated with E-Z Trust Anti Virus, but Zone Alarm Pro and free versions are still available as plain firewalls. Its the version 5 firewall that seems to be causing the problems. If you fancy using the suite, why not try a free trial? I still prefer Norton with Norton Firewall. Good Luck ! The E-Z Antivirus free trial for one year is basically the same as the new Zone alarm suite-it contains a version of Zone Alarm and E-Z Anti Virus. Hope all this is clear.

:gofor:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2004, 08:35 »
Have you thought about Avast, Lona?  Not used it myself, but some people speak well of it.  The only thing with the free ones is that some of them are not self updating, so you have to remember to manually update them every day.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2004, 08:55 »
Lona I can back up Delgardo's comments, I'm using Norton Antivirus 2003 along side ZoneAlarm version 3.7.2002.

And I've never experianced any connection problems, nor have I ever been infected by a virus. Though I have had quite a few virus infected emails attempt to gain access.

I find NAV, ZoneAlarm and Mailwasher are a great combination.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2004, 00:31 »
Thanks for your comments folks.  I had to get rid of Norton Firewall because the updates were causing a fault in Win Me. I'm quite happy for now with ZA and it's version 4 I am using with Norton AV 2002 and so far no conflicts.  :D. I think I'll leave off the ZA security suite for now just in case.  :-\

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2004, 18:30 »
I was so fed up with Norton anti virus that I have installed ZA internet security all in one and so far it seems ok. I will keep you all posted on my progress. :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2004, 18:55 »
I think that your problem is probably caused by ME not Norton Lona  ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2004, 20:43 »

I think that your problem is probably caused by ME not Norton Lona  ;)

You still haven't convinced me as things are working fine now and I have my scanner back.  :P

Offline in3worlds

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2004, 11:34 »
Hello all,

I'm a brand-spanking new member. Looks like a cool community here.  In any event, I have a question regarding Norton AV.  I'm having problems getting live update to work.  I keep getting an error msg.  So, I wrote to Symantec and they said to uninstall everything, which I did.  However, when I try to reinstall, I still get an error msg on the liveupdate part, so my program won't update.  I currently have no firewall products installed on my machine, so I don't think there are any conflicts there.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Martin

PS: Following is what NAV tech support wrote to me -

Hi Martin,

Welcome back to Symantec Online Technical Support.

In your message you wrote:
>when I tried to reinstall NAV 2004, an error msg appeared saying the installation had failed. I tried clicking on retry to no avail. Do you think that I possibly have a corrupted CD?

Martin, this issue does not occur due to corrupt Norton AntiVirus (NAV) CD. In some cases, this issue occurs due to virus. In some cases, this issue can occur if Microsoft Windows Installer is not properly registered. Please refer to the following document from our Online Knowledge Base for the steps to resolve the issue:

Title: 'Error: "Norton Antivirus 2004 installation has failed. Do you want to try to install again?"'
Document ID: 2003091115080306
>Web URL:
>http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/2003091115080306

Please get in touch with us, if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ravindra Reddy
Symantec Authorized Technical Support

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2004, 11:43 »
Hi Martin and :welcome:

Have you tried running Symantecs online scan ?
If not go here :

http://tinyurl.com/2arfc

and click on the virus detection.

Hopefully that will check if you do actually have any viruses on your pc  :)

* Simon tinyed link to correct page format.   :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2004, 13:13 »
Although highly recommended (and the only one I wil use) I must warn anyone considering it to avoid AVG Free Edition at the moment.  I have just finished downloading (from the AVG website) and installing only my second update since around Easter time, as every time I try to use the built-in updater it fails to connect and gives me a message and link to get it from the website.  This is unacceptable.  It is not as if I have a corrupt copy.  I did a format a few weeks ago (I format twice a year and start with a clean system) and got a new copy of the setup file, but it continued to refuse to update.  For once, I cannot blame the firewall, as I had Sygate Pro before the format and now have the Kerio original program and it continues to misbehave regardless.

I can't comment on the paid-for AVG, as I won't pay for programs if there is a free alternative.  However, I suspect that AVG is so popular that the company's server cannot cope.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2004, 14:28 »
Dave there is a thread somewhere on AVG with different URLs to get the updates from, Im at work at the moment so dont have much time to search for it, it was a few months back.. ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum