Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Burger Lab: How to Make Perfect Thin and Crisp French Fries  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
HB lets his chips go completely cold so almost all the moisture in them evaporates.  Then he refrigerates them, so they dry out even more.  As a result, the chips are so light they almost disintegrate when they hit the hot oil.  They're wonderfully crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside, but you get a lot of 'scraps' too.

Have I got this right?  So, he cooks them first, then lets them go cold, chills them even further, then cooks them again?  How much notice do you have to give to get a plate of chips at The Fat Duck?  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Actually, he cooks and chills them twice before their final frying.  The final chilling involves leaving them in the fridge overnight.

So long as you don't douse chips that you buy from a chip shop with salt and vinegar, you can re-fry them the next day and they'll be lovely.  Or you can just eat them cold and call it a Scottish salad.

:scoot:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Might have to try that.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
On the topic of of chips, this blog entry by Victoria Coren made me smile.

I can see how that would be difficult. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum