Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: small icons  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
small icons
« on: November 17, 2002, 22:34 »
When I boot up PC, the small icons (very bottom right hand side of screen) don't always come up in the same order. My firewall icon and ant-virus icons were always beside each other but now they are either separated by the sound icon or MSN icon and at the moment they are separated by my burner icon. This did not used to happen. Is this normal?
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:small incons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2002, 22:46 »
Mine tend to move around too Lona.  I don't know if they can be shackled down.   :D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2002, 22:49 »
Have you started up in safe mode at some time recently Lona?
If so when you go back to normal it often moves them.
The only other way normally is if you have changed the setting to auto arrange  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2002, 22:53 »
The System Tray icons, which you are referring to, Lona, don't always appear in the same order.  It depends how many programs fire up when you start your PC, and in which order they do so.  It really doesn't matter where the icons are (apart from cosmetically), as long as they are all present and correct.  I don't think there is any way to auto-arrange them either.   :)

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2002, 23:08 »
You are quite correct Sandra. I was forced to start in safe mode the other day, don't know why, but again my icons have been taking the micky out of me for a few weeks now so I can't see it being safe mode. I will keep my eye on the wee blighters ;). I just remembered, I re-installed explorer6 and now have an E icon in the tray, that's when they started moving around.  :)

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2002, 23:17 »
Sorry Lona I misunderstood the question,Simon is on the right lines.I was meaning the main icons on the desktop  ::)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2002, 23:33 »
lona have you got IE and Burner icons in there all the time ? Even when not using them ?
Anything that you do not need each time you start up should be removed from from your start up menu as its using resources unnecessarily and slows your PC up during start up and while it is running  ???
It may even be part of your disconnecting problem if you have about 15 icons there as I have seen on some PCs  :-*

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2002, 23:45 »
I only have the Firewall icon and anti virus icon plus sound and ofcourse that stupid MSN icon that I keep disabling at startup but it takes no heed to me. I got rid of the E icon. Just noticed my spelling on my "small icon topic" at the top  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:small icons
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2002, 23:49 »
I just edited your first post Lona to correct it and it has corrected the title of the topic and your first heading but not any of the others but at least this and susequent ones will be ok now  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2002, 23:57 »
Lona, if you open MSN (I assume you mean Messenger), go to Tools > Options > Preferences, you can untick the box that says 'Start when Windows starts', then you won't get the MSN icon until you use it.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2002, 00:20 »
Thamks for that Simon. I don't know how many times I have taken it out of startup. Maybe now it won't act up as much. :D :D :D

Thanks Sandra for correcting my bad spelling. I wouldn't want folks to think I was DUMB ;D ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum