Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 2 dead computers.  (Read 9043 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Re: 2 dead computers.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 13:02 »
I'm not really sure what the master and slave drives mean Simon. I just want to be able to access all of my information, like accounts and I would rather boot from my HDD, so I guess that means it should be the Master then. I just need it for as few days while my PC is in getting fixed, well I just need someone to sort out what has failed in it and we'll go from there.

I'm concerned if I try to make my HDD master, I might stuff this computer up.  :blush:

Oh, and what happened to my thread on How to treat your dog like a ?????‏. Is it because the product is no longer available?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 13:04 by mistybear »
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 13:28 »
Someone tried to move it, and removed it instead.  Sorry!

As for the computer, I'm a bit out of my depth, but Master is Primary, and usually, the boot drive.  Slave is secondary, and usually a storage drive.  If you just need to access the filesusing another machine, I think it needs to be set as a slave, but as I said, don't take my word for it.  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 13:42 by Simon »
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 14:02 »
changing the hard drives will not damage anything, it just might mean the machine doesn't boot.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 14:07 »
Thanks Sam.  :)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 11:00 »
Computer is back up and running.  :D

As Michael's old Medion still had a power supply, mobo and cpu in it, we transfered the other bits from my PC over and it worked a treat. Well, except that the main reason we upgraded Michaels was because his CPU was over heating, so we took it out, cleaned it and re-applied the thermal paste and it seems fine.
So, I'm assuming that it's either my mobo or CPU has died.

We purchased a new PSU for Michael's computer and it's back running now as well. Now to return the Thermaltake for a replacement and sell it to pay for the new one. Still waiting for the GFX card replacement........   I could buy some cheap bits and build another computer I suppose.....more headaches I could without.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 11:16 »
Glad you got things up and running again, Kate.  Well done!  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35 »
 :congrats2: Kate!   :thumbs:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 14:56 »
It was certainly a LOT easier than unplugging everything in mine and trying to figure out which bit was dead. I don't know how to test the CPU or the MB and I didn't like the idea of taking my computer to someone else to fix. I'm sooooooo glad there was an easier way, and Michael is pretty pleased with himself too, "I fixed mum's computer".

I asked at the computer store as to how the thermaltake psu could have damaged my computer, no idea. And apparently that psu has a cut off switch or something, so if it did get a surge or spike it would have cut off. Michael said that it was attached to a surge protector board and it was attached to a box with a cut off switch. He was using his computer went away came back and it was off, his mate didn't know why it just turned off, but after that it wouldn't turn back on. I'd like to know why, but thank god for a 5 year warranty. No more thermaltake, back to Antec. His old Antec 550 that he sold to a mate is still running well, should have kept it.
Lesson of the day, when it comes to computer parts, WARRANTY!!!!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 15:29 »
Indeed!  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum