Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: can't view websites and access msn  (Read 3725 times)

Offline sheena

can't view websites and access msn
« on: April 29, 2003, 23:42 »
Hello this forum looks great!! So much help and advice!

I was wondering if anyone could help! i can't view some websites, says page cannot be displayed and cannot connect to hotmail or msn. It says I may have entered password incorrectly or sign in name does not exist.

I cannot access Kazaa as it says I have uninstalled part of it error 1031.

This has been going on for about a week now and cannot see what is wrong, have deleted cookies, chked ssl, tried windows xp restore but does not go b4 april.

Even deleted some files in windows temporary internt folder. PLS HELP!!! I would greatly appreciate it. I have no firewall either.
Just wanted to add that I have also uninstalled kazaa and msn but still no joy!!

Thanks!
SHEENA

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
Re:can't view websites and access msn
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 23:51 »
Hi Sheena, welcome to Pals ... hope you have fun here ... please join in and don't be put off from just butting in, we don't mind and I'm sure everyone will welcome you.   :welcome:

Right your problem.

The Kazaa thing will be caused probably by you removing the spyware part that it needs to run. This is not part of the program, but it is linked to it.
You could try downloading and installing Kazaa Lite that has NO spyware from HERE

I think you are using Windows XP, am I right? if so how is the XP firewall configured? that could be causing problems.

I'll have a think about what else could be causing your problem
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 00:13 »
Hi there Sheena, and welcome to the forum :)

I had the exact same problem the other night for no specific reason.  I eventually had to do a system restore and things got back to normal.
I had installed some new software prior to the problem so the system restore removed it and so far I have not re-installed it.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 00:15 »
Hi Sheena,a few people seem to have had similar problems to yours with the accessing websites part in particular.
They have usually rectified the problem by attempting to uninstall IE,which it wont let you do,in the Add/Remove bit of control panel but it should give you the option to repair it.
Hope this cures it and welcome to the forum by the way  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 08:27 »
Hi Sheena,

Hope some of the above helps - you could also try re-installing Internet Explorer (quicker from a magazine disc if you have one) over the top of itself - that sometimes works.

Now, something worrying, you said you have no firewall?  When you've got things right again, my strong advice would be to get one, especially if you are using file sharing networks, such as Kazaa.  

A firewall stops unwanted intrusion into your PC, and a good free one can be downloaded from Sygate, which many of us would recommend.

Click Here.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sheena

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 20:00 »
Thank you all sooooo much for your prompt replies but unfortunatly I cant do a system restore for some reason will not go beyond april 2003, also cannot reinstall internet explorer quits half way (magazine disc), tried many times! Cannot access the websites I need to download microsoft internet explorer. When I go to add remove programs from control panel it does not have any size on it it say 0.0MB does that make sense?
 Firewall says its enabled (sorry not very computer savvy!) Dont no much more about firewalls sorry!

I am on NTL broadband Windows XP I feel theres something wrong with my browser.

Im at my wits end!!

Thank you all so much for a warm welcome :)

Adept

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 20:07 »
All the others are probably going to shout at me now Sheena ::), but your magazine cover disk doesn't have a copy of the Opera browser on it does it?

Installing Opera might solve your problem.

Anyway, once you've used Opera and got used to it being much more powerful than IE6, you'll not want to go back ;) :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 20:13 »
 Don't do it, Sheena!!   ;D ;D

Actually, Adept may have a point - if you could get another browser working, you might be able to get on the Microsoft website to download Internet Explorer again!   ;) :D

Just for clarity, is the CD you're trying to use a current one, with Internet Explorer 6 on it?  I was just wondering if you were inadvertantly trying to install an older version, which could be causing the trouble.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sheena

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 20:35 »
Hey Guys............

Good news!!!!!!!! ;D

I reinstalled windows XP after I spoke to someone from ntl, still nothing worked after that(MSN Accsess), but tried my disc again ( which was a new one I brought with a PC magazine yesterday IE 6) it then let me download it and restarted my pc and now everythings working!!!!!!!! B4 it said something about cannot see all of page due to active x???

Im soooooooooo happy!! Thank you sooooo much for your encouragement and support! Was being downlaoded whilst I was typing the other post!

But adept you got me thinking....... the disc does have opera 7.02 web browser on it is it worth downloading that after all this heartache!! what will happen?

I dont know if reinstalled windows XP did the trick but thanks to all of you :D

Sheena

Adept

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 20:43 »

But adept you got me thinking....... the disc does have opera 7.02 web browser on it is it worth downloading that after all this heartache!! what will happen?

Glad you got it sorted Sheena :D

Perhaps, after all that's been going on, you should let your PC settle down a bit before installing any more software ::) On the other hand Opera is a very good browser .... ;)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 21:39 »
On the other hand Opera is a very good browser .... ;)

Go for it sheena!

By the way, :welcome:

Simon, this Sygate prog.   I uninstalled Zone Alarm yesterday as I was sick of Nag Screens and the fact that I have never been able to find a way of stopping it from trying to connect me to the Internet (via Windows Dialup Connection box) every time I turn on my PC, if only to print off a couple of Publisher letterheads to or type a quick Word document.  So I am now looking for an alternative free Firewall.  Is it worth a try?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 21:50 »
Me,Simon and Hitch have been using it for quite some time now and it seems unobtrusive and works ok Dave.
Me and Simon went over to it from Nortons 2003 as we had problems setting it to allow us into Pals chatroom.
Neither of us had had any problems with Nortons 2002 one.
Hitch had been using it for a long time as he said it wasnt as heavy on resources as Nortons tended to be  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 22:02 »
Yes, I would recommend Sygate to anyone, Dave.  I do regular tests, and it's always water tight, but has never stopped my doing what I want to.  Works well with MSN Messenger, WinMX etc too.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 22:07 »
Thanks, Sandra and Simon.

Are you using the Free version, or the (cough) Pro version?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 22:14 »
I actually have the Pro version *cough*, but the free one is just as good, Dave.  All the Pro version adds is script blocking and a few other extras that a good anti virus program would take care of anyway.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum