Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: VLC  (Read 5281 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
VLC
« on: September 18, 2010, 13:43 »
I've always been happy using VLC as my default media player.  Yesterday I installed the latest upgrade and now it won't work (my OS is Vista, fully upgraded but still horrible) so I've uninstalled it completely.

Can anyone recommend an alternative media player, please?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: VLC
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 14:08 »
Don't know if it will do what you need, but I've always used Winamp, Gill.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:22 »
winamp, you are taking me back Gill.

Windows, wise, well I'm unsure - VLC would be my default to go for on that system. Though a useful link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_player_software
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:51 »
I always thought winamp was a bit bloated.  I've just found Gom Player on my system - I seem to recall installing it a while ago to watch some flash videos which VLC didn't support at the time.  I think I'll give that a whirl.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 18:33 »
SMPLAYER is a good one also

Based on mplayer
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:54 »
I always thought winamp was a bit bloated.  I've just found Gom Player on my system - I seem to recall installing it a while ago to watch some flash videos which VLC didn't support at the time.  I think I'll give that a whirl.

back in the day winamp was the dogs b******s and really light.. not any more, I miss those days at times.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 21:25 »
Hi, Gill.

I too use VLC.  I have found that it occassionally stops opening files after it has played a few, but works again next time I restart the computer.  ???

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 23:06 »
Mine was okay until I installed the latest update :( .  So far, Gom Player seems to be an acceptable alternative.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 23:13 »
So, does it play Goms? 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 23:29 »
Yes.

More than that, it even plays videos!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 23:34 »
Wow!  :woot:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 01:17 »
My mate absolutely swears by Gom Player, and I must admit it doesn't look/sound bad at all.  However, since I'm forever removing digital vermin from his machine, I'll let him be the guinea-pig for a little while longer before I go ahead and install anything quite so Korean on my machines.

I originally paid for WinAmp back when version 2 was still a gleam in Justin Frankel's eye.  Then, when it changed ownership, I later coughed up again in order to get the unrestricted 'Pro' version.  I've since bought further licences, including one for use on my daughter's laptop, and still like WA, despite all the useless garbage that can come with it.

Regarding visual media players, I don't think you can go far wrong with a combination of Media Player Classic, Real Alternative, QT Aternative and the K-Lite codec pack - provided you know what you're doing when configuring the umpteen various opportunities to completely hose any other player on your system.

For everything else, there's the very wonderful dBpoweramp suite.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:13 »
That looks a useful all-in-one, Rod. 

I've never had a problem with WinAmp, and am currently on v5 Pro, which could probably do with updating, but, to be honest, there isn't much point.  I just turn off the bits I don't need, and it only fires up when required.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum